Will a dog help deter a fox attack? What type?

My collie guards our chickens but wouldn't make a good outside only dog as he likes to be with people all the time... My dog (Gumbo.. in avatar) just ran a fox off this morning! good boy!!
big_smile.png

Yeah you'd have to find a dog that wouldn't get too bored .. or get 2 dogs if they will be outside so at least they have each other??? I'm sure some dog breeds are OK with being out but i know a collie would be VERY SAD to live outside without people.. My dog is my shadow.

There are several threads here on BYC regarding breeds of dogs that are good w/poultry, you might do a search for a couple of those. I've seen pictures here of all kinda breeds doing excellent with poultry and great with predator control. To some extent, it is the dog poop I think that deters other small dog like creatures, not a fierce animal patrolling the grounds. Maltese is NOT what you want, fox might eat them! And your friend is right about greyhound, they would love to chase your birds as well as probably the foxes. Think about what the breed was bred and raised for when you are making your choice. There is a book called the ASPCA guide to dogs that might be helpful to you right now, and it is usually at the library.

We foster for the humane society and the anatolian shepherd we had here was the one that I would have recommended for you of the 100 or so dogs we have had exposed to the chickens. He was very self-possessed and did not need much attention and stayed here without a fence, the very first day. But did you catch that number of dogs I had to choose from that would have been perfect for you right off the bat? One out of 100 and no one at the humane society could possibly have known which one to tell you to get as Anatoleans are not always like him, if you were going that route. You might do better looking for a breeder of these types of dogs and ask for one they are retiring from breeding as you don't have the time to raise a pup. Older dogs are SO much easier and puppies are overrated. They might let you have one inexpensively because they don't need her and would want her to get a good home. Just make sure you are not at a puppy mill! Go to a local dog show to find a breeder or ask your vet, do not go through Craigs list or pet stores.
Most of the humane society discards are dogs about a year old that didn't turn out for their owners. So I'd be real careful going the purchased puppy or humane society year-old dog route in your situation unless you are going to have a year off to be home to train it, lol. Don't we all wish!
lol.png

Dogs get less needy generally as they get older (unless they are a golden retriever lol). Or look into a rescue of the breed you choose and tell them your needs. PM me if you intend to go that route as that is my real expertise, not chickens! Or if you are going to the humane society, I could send you a list of what to NOT look for, which is probably the most important thing, not getting the wrong dog.

I have friends with heelers (australian cattle dogs) and often you will see a border collie good with livestock but there are exceptions of course and they are perhaps more a size you would find less intimidating. Both of those breeds require a close relationship with their person so you might reevaluate how much you might desire to have a wonderful new friend who always loves you, always is happy to see you, never nags, always wants to go with you and always wants to play. They are dirty, messy and sometimes gross, but ....things wash. To me dogs are very much worth it. But they are a huge time-suck and money pit and installing electric fence would be a lot less maintaince-free as there are tons of start-up costs to becoming a dog owner, the financial investment is probably a wash.

I'd research breeds right now as foresight and knowledge makes the best dog owners....go forewarned! It is almost more like there would be a zillion dogs to avoid out there for your situation but a few gems, you'd have to just find the right one, or train one to become the right one. Usually, it is the latter, not the former.

Quote:
I think the electric fence is your best option. They are not that expensive at all, especially compared to the expense of caring for a dog. And if you really aren't a dog person and don't really like or want a dog other then as a fox deterrent then absolutely go with good fencing! A dog requires a lot of time and training to turn out the way you want and even then sometimes you don't get what you want. In getting a dog you run the risk of it being the killer of your chickens as much as the fox, as well as the dog running off to find other ways of entertaining itself while you are gone all day.

I got Standard Poodles thinking they are supposed to get along with other animals. I should have known that since they were bred to be waterfowl retrievers that they would be the worst predators to my flock. I found out the hard way. Now I just have to watch and wait if one of the chickens crosses the electric in-ground fence line.
Good luck, I am sure there are great breeds for what you need. Personally, I am a dog person and always will be.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will show all of your replies to my husband tonight and figure out what he wants to do. For now they will stay in - no free ranging for a while. I will get the electric fence too. The dog will require twisting my husband's arm a bit. The hardest part will be finding that 'right' dog. I think that just the barking of a dog will keep a fox at bay a little bit. My neighbors have a little white dog that is outside a lot, and boy she has some bark for a little dog. The only 2 times we have seen the fox is when the dog was not outside, or was just being quiet.

Why don't you have your neighbor visit with that dog and let it leave its liquid and solid deposits around your chicken area. I truly believe other critters do not even come around my property because my dogs like to leave the .....ahem........used dog food.....around the perimeter of our lot.

In dog language, it kinda means, "this spot is taken".

Doesn't replace a fence but couldn't HURT. Not the greatest if you step in one though. lol

Quote:
LOL! I used to think that dog poop was pretty gross, but that was before I had chickens! it's a toss up now! I think the chickens actually have the edge in that contest!

Quote:
I am still trying to decide what dog breed will be used to guard my poultry and small ruminants. It is down to border collie or catahula since both extremely trainable. I am into training so that part will be fun. Feed costs and risks associated with genetic defects of both breeds lower than some of typical large livestock breeds.

Quote:
The OP indicated they would be gone long hours. I have a Border Collies and she requires considerable daily physical exercise. She is extremely intelligent and can get into mischief if left for long periods of time or when boredom sets in. Border Collies can be very demanding, energetic pets that are better off in homes providing them with plenty of exercise and/or human contact or time with another dog. I love my dog, but not sure if that breed would best be suited for your specific situation.

Back
Top Bottom