Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

Pics
Havnt tried wiping it over yet but its already looking more fluffed up so may just see how it is in the morning, its no effecting him in any way i just think it looks odd, also goin to try find somewhere to get a couple of day old KC or runners to be his friends
1f649.png

Read this thread when I had all but given up hope for an egg that was badly cracked.  My mistake, I didn't check under hen's wings before I lifted her off nest to feed.  It was day 16 of incubation and it happened in front of my young daughter.  Both of us assumed that it was curtains for the little chick inside.

However, I thought I'd give superglue a try and let it dry off in the airing cupboard before putting back under broody.  Searched and searched internet for similar stories then finally found this one, which gave me some hope (although wished I'd read it first and tried wax which sounded less permanent!).

Anyway, today we were blessed with all our eggs hatching, the first to emerge was from the damaged egg (have now left family in peace now that I feel less guilty).

The superglue didn't hurt the embryo? Great, 'cause I just had to superglue a small crack in my white leghorn x cream legbar egg. It's on day 16. There's hope?

Brilliant thread. It's 6 years after the OP and I this thread has just really helped me. My first broody hen ( a light sussex) has been sitting on her egged for 12 days now and I just accidentally cracked an egg when trying to check if there was an embryo in there.
I ran in, looked it up on this fan site and got my solution instantly. Thanks guys!
I didn't manage to ascertain wether there are chicks in there in the end :-( I suppose I'll just have to wait a little longer. There are only 3 eggs.

Please do yourself a favor. I bought 6 eggs and half way through incubating them I come home on day and my incubator is on the floor and all dead baby chicks are on the floor and one egg was cracked and so was another one I was devistated. Something spooked my cat and I don't know how she could knock something this heavy off the counter, but she did. Put your incubator in a safe place!!!! I tried saving two by dipping them in organic natural candle wax. A week later one started smelling like a rotten egg... so long story short that one didn't make it. I am down to my last egg 7 days left I am not seeing too much development. I am giving it a couple more days to see if it developes more. It does not smell rotten so we shall see...... =( I was thinking about ordering more.. however near the end I was thinking what if this one hatches and I can't turn the other days for 3 days? So I am just going to wait and see what happens to this one..if it makes it I am calling it Nemo or Nema. They were Cream Brabanters.

Sorry about your luck. This has happened to other people as well - lots of cats getting into things and knocking incubators over. Fortunately my cats like the incubator and the chicks and never mess with it. Putting it in a safe place and away from other pets (and children) is always a good idea.
wink.png

It is day 18. I was candling and by accident bumped the table. It has been 2+ hours and the baby is still breathing. Should I try and close the crack with wax or let it be?

I would let it be. This hasn't happened to me so I can't tell you that it will all work out but day 18 isn't bad. I would leave it and see what comes in the morning. If the chick is still breathing I leave it. Someone else who has experienced this may have something different to say but I say natural is best. Get as close to 21 days as possible!

Deep breaths- you're doing a great job!

Back
Top Bottom