Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

WOW! Im glad this ol' thread is still helping others after it helped me! Funny thing....the egg I cracked, we still have the hen that hatched from it and she is the best layer and broody momma we have ever had!
smile.png

This thread is like a zombie- it keeps popping up long after we thought it died!
lol.png

Last edited:
Nail polish 'solvent'? I used plain clear nail polish (not the polish solvent/remover), not thinking much about the chemicals at the time. Later on when I did think about it, I did think maybe the chemicals could be harmful, but candle wax also has alot of stuff in it that is not so good for a deveoping embryo, and I didnt have any wax at the time, so.....polish it was!

Liquid bandaide sounds like a great option- gonna add that to my chicken first aide kit. THANKS for the idea!

I was also worried about using wax because I didnt want the wax to melt while the egg was under a warm broodys' bum and end up with a waxy hens butt and an egg that died because the wax melted off and bacteria got in.

I tend to over-think stuff in while in egg crisis mode
hmm.png

Quote:
I've read this thread a couple times. I'm so glad to hear an update from the OP and hear that the chick made it and is doing so well. :)

For anybody worried about chemicals, but still interested in using the wax... after reading this thread I will be stopping at my local hobby store to pick up some canning wax. Canning wax is food-safe and shouldn't have any toxins to worry about.

Thanks for a great thread!

THANKS for the good advice in this thread. I cracked an egg on day 3...on the air sack end. Put candle wax on from a scented candle which had me really worried. Yesterday we got back from relatives and there was the chick -- just perfectly fine...and 1-day early. It's in the brooder now. I am so glad that I didn't toss the egg. Because my breed is autosexing, I know it is a little cockerel - and I want to keep that genetic blood line going.

Wax was a life-saver....

I am so thankful for this forum! Candle wax for a cracked egg, who would have thought? I have 2 broodies that were still in their regular nest boxes and were both wanting to sit the same 5 eggs. When I saw them fighting for the mommy spot I split them up but it was too late, one of the eggs (on day 9) had a couple of good dents in it. As the membrane was intact I put wax on it. I moved the better broodie to a safe nursery crate tonight with fake eggs to get acclimated and left the real eggs under the other broodie for one more night. If all goes well I will swap them out tomorrow. I do hope the wax works and this little one makes it!

Hello thought I'd ask if my eggs would hatch too. It's still a day before lockdown and the two that were going to hatch seem to have been caught against eachother and broken. One is broken all down the side and I can see the back of the chick not sure if it's alive but there's no blood. The other is really dented in on the large end but still moving and not leaking. The shells are really fragile not sure what made them so easy to break. They look really bad and I don't hear any peeping but I took the rollers out and put a wet sponge in to get more humidity. Any advice would be much appreciated sorry my pic is bad but I didn't want to mess with them further until I knew what to do

Last edited:
I used scotch tape and used a few layers to make a good barrier without covering too much of the egg. It worked pretty well. But good luck to you! Hope your little biddie hatches :)

Back
Top Bottom