windy woes!

I'd put felt on the roof but rain started to get in so I thought plastic would be better! Will do once this hurricane goes!! :)

How are you fastening them? You should be using screws that have foam type washers under them. Are the fasteners pulling out of the wood or are holes being ripped in the panel and the fasteners still stuck in the wood?

Also, most of those panels also have closure strips that you use with them to help close up the ends so you don't have the wind blowing under the panel and pulling it up. The closure strips will have a profile that matches the panel and will look similar to this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102670-1115-2216_1z10lsq__?productId=3005549&pl=1

If you don't have anything like that, you could possibly attach a "L" flashing to cover it.

A photo of your set up would really help a lot too...

We wrapped our run in plastic too. Can't tell after the last two days of brutal winds. Frustrating. We just want our little buggers to be safe and happy, but Mother Nature isn't much of a help on certain days...
barnie.gif

Ok I finally got up on the roof today and got some pics. Rain is coming in at the two ends, so I tried to patch them with plastic meal sacks and the left over plastic pieces. Not sure if I should've done this or not? I won't be able to afford to do anything until at least Feb :( any ideas of what might see me through? I've noticed part of the flooring is damp and breaking. A combination of the rain leaking the ducks I think. I put a fresh thick piece of wood across it, not sure how to fix it? I wonder should I plywood the roof, re-felt and tin it? Put thick plastic/felt on the flooring and plywood over it? I even used the roof repair glue stuff but it hasn't worked! :(

Inside of shed where it's leaking.

Both ends of roof left with just felt, plastic only stayed on in the middle :(

Trying to patch where it's leaking with plastic meal sacks and plastic bits.

Side view showing general shape of the roof, rain runs off the back.

The problem occurred due to the use of nails. Nails can be pulled out, screws can not. High wind gets under and lifts allowing more wind to get under and lift more, soon the entire panel is pulled off. In this case the plastic roofing was brittle so it broke. Shingles are not a good choice in high wind prone areas due to the same reason. Metal roofing is better but not a necessity. The acrylic/plastic roofing is fine but you need to screw it down. It almost looks as though you put the roofing sideways in one photo. The rain should run down the channels. You can have a good 3 or 4 inch overhang so the rain running off falls to ground instead of running down the side of building. Rows of four screws every 16-18" will suffice. With 1/2 inch plywood roofing 1" screws will suffice. You want the screw to pass through the sheathing by a 1/4 inch or more so get the roofing screws the size that will accomplish that. With the roofing overlapped by one high hat you have a screw on each side of that overlap then two spaced out in center in a high wind area. I do that spacing on roof edge for a few rows and then go to only one screw in center up. Extra screws along the sloped sides is advised too. A screw every foot will keep the roofing down in high winds. Let sides overhang roof 2-3 inches. If your prone to hurricanes metal may be your only option, I don't know how much wind acrylic can withstand before breaking. The roof overhangs will act as little sails, that's plenty of screws to hold it down but unsure if acrylic edges will snap in 100 mph wind or not. Roofing screws with hex head and washer is what you use. Come in any color as the roofing.

The problem occurred due to the use of nails. Nails can be pulled out, screws can not. High wind gets under and lifts allowing more wind to get under and lift more, soon the entire panel is pulled off. In this case the plastic roofing was brittle so it broke. Shingles are not a good choice in high wind prone areas due to the same reason. Metal roofing is better but not a necessity. The acrylic/plastic roofing is fine but you need to screw it down. It  almost looks as though you put the roofing sideways in one photo. The rain should run down the channels. You can have a good 3 or 4 inch overhang so the rain running off falls to ground instead of running down the side of building. Rows of four screws every 16-18" will suffice. With 1/2 inch plywood roofing 1" screws will suffice. You want the screw to pass through the sheathing by a 1/4 inch or more so get the roofing screws the size that will accomplish that. With the roofing overlapped by one high hat you have a screw on each side of that overlap then two spaced out in center in a high wind area. I do that spacing on roof edge for a few rows and then go to only one screw in center up. Extra screws along the sloped sides is advised too. A screw every foot will keep the roofing down in high winds. Let sides overhang roof 2-3 inches. If your prone to hurricanes metal may be your only option, I don't know how much wind acrylic can withstand before breaking. The roof overhangs will act as little sails, that's plenty of screws to hold it down but unsure if acrylic edges will snap in 100 mph wind or not. Roofing screws with hex head and washer is what you use. Come in any color as the roofing.

Thanks! I had it screwed in at the start but there maybe wasn't enough! I battered what was left on with nails (had ran out of screws lol) and did a bit of a patchwork job, as you noticed lol! Think the plastic is going to be too flimsy, will take a look at tin, don't want it flying off and hitting next doors car! It's his pride and joy lol!!

I have polycarbonate panels as roof for the run and asphalt shingle roof for the coop. If they are properly installed, they should not be ripping off in the wind easily. Like the others have mentioned, use screws, washers, and the closure strips; not nails. Also, if your panels are made of PVC or acrylic, it could be very brittle under UV. Polycarbonate or corrugated metal panels would be much stronger. Try to create more overhang all around so water don't run along the seams and the wall.

I have polycarbonate panels as roof for the run and asphalt shingle roof for the coop. If they are properly installed, they should not be ripping off in the wind easily. Like the others have mentioned, use screws, washers, and the closure strips; not nails. Also, if your panels are made of PVC or acrylic, it could be very brittle under UV. Polycarbonate or corrugated metal panels would be much stronger. Try to create more overhang all around so water don't run along the seams and the wall.
Thanks will do! :)

Back
Top Bottom