WINNERS! The results are in!

This is gonna be a very unpopular post-I know it in advance and I'm ready to take the resultant abuse.
First let me get the least"offensive" part out of the way. The biggest flaw with the concept of an on-line poultry show is that it's impossible to really evaluate a bird you don't handle. Any judge will confirm this. You learn at least as much about a bird by handling it as you do by looking at it.
OK-here comes the rough part and this is a thing I find particularly frustrating about boards like this one. Apparently the only acceptable answer to the "what do you think of my chicken" question is "HE/SHE'S BEAUTIFUL". Unfortunately sometimes people really are looking for an objective critique and they seldom if ever get one. I see situations regularly at shows where I'm either judging or showing-people enter birds they've bought from a hatchery or an internet dealer [who to be fair may not know better]. The birds don't do well &/or are disqualified and the people are either upset or angry. They bought the birds as "show quality" or someone told them they were really nice birds. These folks who might have had a positive show experience instead are soured on the fancy and give up.
As to this particular on-line show-here we go. There were a few birds that superficially appeared to be pretty good-the W C Black Polish that was best bantam was one example. However, the vast majority of the birds were barely recognizable as the breeds they were supposed to be. In fact, in some cases, they were not at all recognizable as the breeds they were supposed to be.
This in part is probably why in the "what breed is this" catagory you see so many wildly divergent "guesses" as to the identity of a particular bird. Either the bird is such a poor breed example it's hard to tell or the persons guessing really don't know breed identifications and guess based on very little information.
Now, is there any real harm in any of this? No, there's very little at stake and if your chickens fulfill what ever function they serve in your life then that's cool. [ At the same time I do have to admit I'm mildly annoyed when someone tells me I'm wrong about a breed ID and their reason is absolutely wrong ie: Redcap hens are solid brown"]
So here's my question. Is it possible to set up some way for people who are looking for more than "they're beautiful" to get some honest feedback on the appearance of their birds? I've been tempted to respond to a few of these post where the birds appeared to be somewhat competitive but I haven't because I'm not really interested in offending anyone & there's always room for improvement. That's why I kept 12 out of 186 I hatched last year.

Nyreds, you're probably taking it all too seriously - this is a bunch of people with BACK YARD CHICKENS, nothing fancy just cute birds we like.
big_smile.png

NYREDS I saw that post about the REDCAPS and I was asstonished!! An APA judge says what kind of bird it is and then people argue with him/her.? Unbelievable!!!!
As far as the online poultry show----I was asked to be a "judge" at the last minute because someone else apparently backed out or some such what not. Well I dont know that much about all the different breeds and am in no way qualified to be a judge. And I was some what uncomfortable because I didnt want any offense to be taken by anyone. And I wasnt even sure what the rules for judging were because I hadnt been paying attention because I have dial up.
Well I saw what I thought was some nice birds and tried to make a list to the best of my ability. I think I used information on picture quality also and how much of the birds parts as a whole could be seen, size of picture(some were to small to see) . If the whole bird was pictured and the feather quality of the bird.
And as far as the feather legged birds I had no idea-there was just too many.
But I can empathize with you on another post I defended something and then next thing it felt like I was being attacked. And I wasnt even doing what "they" said I was.
I hope everybody is ok with this. Hopefully if there is another online show more of the kinks will be worked out!
smile.png

NYREDS - I understand what you are saying but like wildsky said this is BYC. Its only for fun. You also have to remember that this is our very first poultry show so some things do need to be worked with and fixed.

c'mon guys, this is fun! i bet half of us have a chicken we dont know what it is, but that isnt what makes us love them! its their cute personalities that make us laugh and want to keep chickens. the shows are to showcase that and for everybody to have a chance (even those who have hatchery birds, like me) to have someone say "your bird is beautiful" without worrying about tiny details. lighten up.
smile.png

stormhorse I know what ya mean. Like my above post says this was only for fun. When I got chickens I did it for my grandpa who had a pet rooster. I did it for the eggs but most of all I did it for myself. I wanted them cause I heard they are nice and have sweet personalties. I used to be totally against mutt dogs. I only wanted purebreed. My dog is purebreed beagle and he is really stupid. Cujo my purebreed pitbull was sweet but he passed away 2 weeks after my b-day. I kept mollie who I thought was a purebreed blacklab. I kept her cause she was behind cujos cage at the shelter. she was a sweet lovble dog. found out she is a mix of my second fave dog. a chowchow. what I am saying is. Even though they are mutts they are still great no matter what

A' Hem.
NYRED's... the concept of the show is to be fun.
It's not critical... and honestly us judges dont care about ever little detail. It was for fun. No, its not a real show, so we dont get as critical.

it was for fun.

everyone, this forum is to be "friendly".

Back
Top Bottom