winter forage???

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
Is grass hay ok for ducks in the winter? I am getting 30 bales of last years "good" grass hay (to old for horses) I will be using it as bedding in the chicken coop. Could I also use it as forage for my muscovy? Its a little dusty but not bad.

Hard to say. I think of ducks as being somewhat sensitive to dust, and anything that gets moldy. I have read of people feeding a little bit of lucerne (alfalfa) as a treat in winter. But then others don't think that's a great idea.

Have you considered fermented feed or sprouted fodder?

I'd watch the dust level and possibility of mold spores, ducks have pretty sensitive respiratory systems, i agree with Amiga fodder and sprouts are a good option. I usually get some Romaine lettuce for mine during the long winter, i have read of sprouting sunflower seeds(boss, so black oil)

Mine winter pretty good, they can forage through a pretty good depth of snow, fortunately ducks have strong instincts to do so and if allowed to foster that skill.

Last edited:
I read they were good at shifting for themselves. Last week we got 4 inches overnight and my little guys would NOT out. Even after I shoveled and the chickens went out. They just looked at it like "What is this cold stuff? Lets stay in and watch TV" Maybe the older girls I am picking up tonight will teach them.

Thanks, I'll just use it as bedding in the coop and find something else for snack time.

I read they were good at shifting for themselves. Last week we got 4 inches overnight and my little guys would NOT out. Even after I shoveled and the chickens went out. They just looked at it like "What is this cold stuff? Lets stay in and watch TV" Maybe the older girls I am picking up tonight will teach them.

Thanks, I'll just use it as bedding in the coop and find something else for snack time.
I am going to by timothy hay for my geese for winter since there won't be much grazing going on here, My ducks chomped on it too as did the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom