Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Afternoon to all.... windows under the pen cover would work for ventilation...don't know if you need it but I would consider it.
Busy here, and need to get started with the garden work...turkey hunting comes first though. More of that to come.
I like the rose comb rir mrheinz....they would be more suitable here in the north...in my opinion.

The bash is coming up fast now....it's a chance to meet faces with names... I hope you can make it for the day or stay the weekend for more fun and conversation.

bigz

Thanks Jim,
I have tried both what the incubator manual says and dry incubation upping the humidity between 55-62% for humidity. Still I can never seem to lose enough moisture and the chicks are sticky. My last hatch I incubated dry and just finished up this morning. The whole hatch was a flop. We had a few temp issues with a few spikes mostly mild but we did have a short one that was 109 but lasted less than 5 minutes. The other bad spike was very early on. I'm not sure how long it lasted and it killed many eggs but two dozen survived the first spike.

My humidity during incubation of this batch ranged from 24-36% with the average being about 30. I've no idea how the eggs could have been so liquid logged.

Got the rest of the garden seeds in. Planted 3 bleeding heart plants, a magnolia bush, a dozen pansies and several other flowers. Put new screen in the door and weeded the strawberry plants. They are starting to flower!

Got the rest of the garden seeds in. Planted 3 bleeding heart plants, a magnolia bush, a dozen pansies and several other flowers. Put new screen in the door and weeded the strawberry plants. They are starting to flower!

we up nort won't even think of putting a garden in until late may or even June..

chkDrm24 maybe your hydrometer is whacky ?

BTW , this is just IMHO .. but I do not believe chicks drown in the shell.. It might look like that, but I believe there are other reasons that the chick doesn't make it.

as long as I am at it, I believe "shrink wrapped" chicks is from too low humidity, or someone opened the incubator while an egg is pipped or zipped and just won't admit it.

On a high note, I got my lawn mower back together. On the down side, the blades won't turn, I didn't have time to check if the drive belt was on or off because just then Annie came out and announced that the water heater quit working.
I borrowed bro Dave's Meter and checked the water heater out for shorts and opens.. NADA , it might be the main 220 breaker. which I doubt.. then there is the "gray box" that's where I think the problem is..

we up nort won't even think of putting a garden in until late may or even June..

chkDrm24  maybe your hydrometer is whacky ?

BTW  ,  this is just IMHO ..  but I do not believe chicks drown in the shell..  It might look like that, but I believe there are other reasons that the chick doesn't make it.

as long as I am at it,   I believe "shrink wrapped" chicks is from too low humidity,  or someone opened the incubator while an egg is pipped or zipped and just won't admit it.

On a high note, I got my lawn mower back together. On the down side, the blades won't turn,  I didn't have time to check if the drive belt was on or off because just then Annie came out and announced that the water heater quit working.  
I borrowed bro Dave's Meter and checked the water heater out for shorts and opens..  NADA  ,  it might be the main 220 breaker.  which I doubt..  then there is the "gray box"  that's where I think the problem is..

Well Jim I suppose it's always a possibility. I did calibrate it before the hatch but technology isn't known for being reliable so maybe it decided to ruin my day lol who knows. I agree about what causes shrink wrapping. I hope they don't drown BC that isn't a though I like very much, if they've breathed air and turned then sure but idk. I guess all I can do is recalibrate and try again. I have two very small bowls of rice in there right now and have been mostly steady today at 28-30%. I kind of wish it was lower though after last hatch. This is the biggest mess I ever have had with a hatch any hatch, I guess all I can do is try to learn and do it again. Funny that I hatched better before I calibrated my hygrometer and thermometers.

Woo Hoo! Did I finally find the Wisconsin thread??? I sure hope so! It feels like everyone is miles away otherwise! I'm hatching right now.

I am a silkie, black ameraucana, and Plymouth Rock lover! :)

I have 18 set eggs:

3 hatched-

2 rocks and 1 silkie.
4 are pipped, and 11 are showing no movement yet.
They certainly got rolled around last night when the first 2 rocks came out!
Sitting on my hands. :)
jumpy.gif

Hello everybody Long time no speak. I don't know if anyone remembers me I was on here a few years back. My name is Audra I live south of Green Bay. I am lookin to get a flock up and going again. I missed reading everyones posts so I have come back. Also if there is anyone around my area selling some pullets I am all ears. :)

Back
Top Bottom