Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Sugar, my broody that got attacked by shadow, has been going down hill. She just doesn't look good. I know brooding is hard on a bird. But she's been itching at her face and eyes a lot and her muff/beard looks dirty. (Could be ff) anyway, one of her eyes doesn't seem to want to open today. What do you suggest I do for her? She is still sitting, with hatching expecting this week.

yeah ruffling a new broody at this point might screw the whole deal up,,,,I agree to wipe off her face see what you can see. Guessing this is an AM, the whole mess of the beard and muffs is why I started fermenting grains and not mill processed feed.

AM's don't seem to take the heat too well,,,also agree that all the birds should be getting electrolytes in this weather. I found one a couple of months ago that also contains probiotics. Twin City Poultry Supplies

I figured out what my one crab tree is that's supposed to be good for jelly. Its a hopa crab. I'm picking out my fruit trees for next year. I forgot, I do have some sweet 16 apple trees. I'm getting more Evans Bali cherry, pioneer chinese apricot, black ice plum, zestar, cortland, haralson and honeycrisp apples, and polaris blueberries. Considering wealthy, state fair, red regent and red baron apples. Minimum order is 5 to 10 of each, depending on tree size. I think I may get my whole fiel filled next year.

Last edited:
Morning!
Welcome 313!
Brilliant cind

Heather, I hope the hen gets better. Does she already have eggs?

I got a couple good pics of the wing. My "smart" phone will not post them. I will try it tomorrow when in town. She is stressed from the pic session. Also because shes been locked in a crate. We added the other peices of fence, and moved her pen to the grass. Refilled her "pond". I will put her back in woon.
Would she like it if I gave her the dog crate with sone pine chips? I think I'll leave it in to see if she'd lime to go in at night. We will give her some time to calm. Try to vet wrap in a few hours. Ug, just taking pics was hard enough! Will the vet wrap stay on even tho she is in the pond a lot?

Bbl

well, I am back home.. got 8 keets from Marlene,, stopped in town for buiskits and gravy and now waiting for Jenny from Minocqua to come at about 2 pm..

Nephew left me only 2 stakes.. I guess I will be forced to use T-posts for the peppers..

tried to put the turkey poults in with the barock chicks.. not going to happen.. they were picked on, so we took them out.. I guess I will have to clean out the indoor brooder pen and stick them in there..

I think I need a nap.. or a piece of strawberry short cake.. I think I will do the shortcake and then the nap.. yeah, that's the ticket ..

Hello there. My question is can u let 4 week old chicks out of brooder. They have feathers and its up in mid 90 's in the day and 70's at night
They only stayed a week under a light

Good afternoon! I am in for a break from the heat. Starting to feel a bit better...we dont have AC but the house is old and it stays pretty cool with the fans on! (thank Goodness)
Welcome!!! I am still pretty new here myself. Got our first 2 chicks and 2 ducklings on May 12, and added 10 more tiny chicks at the end of June. You will love it here. Between the fun & sassy conversations, you'll learn lots!
That's the spirit! yes, you will learn lots of stuff that you didnt really want to know also. Of course NOT from me! I only impart the BEST and MOST interesting stuff!
hide.gif

Welcome chickenlady313!!!!
Pull up a roost and perch for a spell. Always room in this coop for one more. Just be aware it is quite a mixed flock in here
hide.gif
. We have a couple young chicks, a few old hens, several mother hens and a cuckoo or two.
gig.gif
. Several roos on here too. Very wise and struttin their stuff but watch out for the old crows
lau.gif

Tell us more about you and your flock and the rest of your critters. We love pics here too by the way.
big_smile.png
OK Vickie---did you make that up or copy it? So perfect in any case.
good morning again.. very impressive chickens.. still laying at 20 .. throw Mama from the train a kiss..

this last hatch was a complete failure.. I think the power outage we had must have hit it at a critical time.. over 50 eggs and not a single pip.. chit happens..

my mind just went blank.. must need another cuppa.......
DH says. " the streetcar she bends the corner around." Milwaukee-ese at it's finest!
I feel your pain with that hatch...same thing here!
Sugar, my broody that got attacked by shadow, has been going down hill. She just doesn't look good. I know brooding is hard on a bird. But she's been itching at her face and eyes a lot and her muff/beard looks dirty. (Could be ff) anyway, one of her eyes doesn't seem to want to open today. What do you suggest I do for her? She is still sitting, with hatching expecting this week.
What everyone else said...maybe some yogurt or probiotics as well? If you can keep her going until the babies hatch maybe it will give her a will to live? Is anyone picking on her that could have injured her eye? SHe has only been sitting this one clutch right? They get pretty worn out it you do repeated ones.
Would she like it if I gave her the dog crate with sone pine chips? I think I'll leave it in to see if she'd lime to go in at night. We will give her some time to calm. Try to vet wrap in a few hours. Ug, just taking pics was hard enough! Will the vet wrap stay on even tho she is in the pond a lot?
The vet wrap sticks to itself so it might depending on how much contact it has. I would actually see if you can wrap with the vet wrap first and then run a few turns of packing tape on top. I sure wish I was closer, I could help you do it! Isnt there a "Wildlife in Need" office near there? They could rehab her with no problem!
well, I am back home.. got 8 keets from Marlene,, stopped in town for buiskits and gravy and now waiting for Jenny from Minocqua to come at about 2 pm..

Nephew left me only 2 stakes.. I guess I will be forced to use T-posts for the peppers..

tried to put the turkey poults in with the barock chicks.. not going to happen.. they were picked on, so we took them out.. I guess I will have to clean out the indoor brooder pen and stick them in there..

I think I need a nap.. or a piece of strawberry short cake.. I think I will do the shortcake and then the nap.. yeah, that's the ticket ..
Good one Jim..so did the poults pick on the chicks or the other way around? It sounds as if the chicks got the poults...That is funny...I have been adding chicks to the poult pen and have had no trouble at all. The langshan's are next...starting to get big!
Hello there. My question is can u let 4 week old chicks out of brooder. They have feathers and its up in mid 90 's in the day and 70's at night
They only stayed a week under a light
I dont think that would be a problem at all Brenda! If they have feathers they should be fine. If id dips down in the night you might turn on a low wattage bulb in a hood in one corner where they are. If they need it they will go under.

Well shoot! I hit the submit button prematurely! I am cool enough now I guess so I am heading out to rip out the remaining lettuce and get my herbs in there...I am running out of sun in my yard...JIM--when would you like to come and cut down that elm? I also have a Mulberry that could go!

Have a great remainder of the day...I have to head to the fair and check out exhibits...always a fun time! But maybe the baked potatoes and corn will be half price? TerriO

Last edited:
Jim those are nice peppers but T-stakes is overkill. Some 3' wood stakes every 4-6' on the outsides of the double row,,,,then some laterals on the outside parallel to the ground at 10-12". When the plants get 2' tall add another set of laterals. All you are doing is keeping the plants from tipping over when they get loaded with fruit.

As with the maters I trim off the bottom leaves, helps prevent disease.

hot and dry today filled the waterers 3-4 times and the irrigation is running in the gardens,,,might have to have ice cream with the berries today

danstrugglingtokeepupwiththeweedsandhatingit

Back
Top Bottom