Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

This is such a bizarro weather time we live in, man. I'm loving the sun and everything, missing having my wood stove going, worried about this summer's heat and water situation, and working on setting up our greenhouse if possible, because it blew away spectacularly in that wind storm 2yrs ago. Duct tape equipped, y'all! Oh but I did finish staining the glass on this chandelier yesterday to give it a facelift. I didn't want to pay to replace it just now and since we painted this staircase it looked sad. I still have to paint all the trim. MY FAVORITE :p

431534056_425535563379619_1947346640690844943_n.jpg

I had a request to see my 5gallon feeder.
I think I can find it in the great mess out back. I will take pictures and make a few notes.. In the mean time, you will need a 5gal bucket, a plastic pan, like an oil pan/horse feeder pan.. and a piece of
2x6x6 (1 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 5 1/2) and a handful of 1 1/2" screws.. and a few short pieces of wire about long enough to go from the top of the bucket to the rim of the pan.. you will need to drill 6 holes around the bottom edge of the bucket about 3 inches from the bottom
and about 6 holes in the bottom of the bucket where the block of wood is not blocking..
the wire is optional.. but it keeps the chickens from walking on the edge of the pan.. about four pieces should do..

The new feed that I got, some of it's pretty fine and I have that feeder in the run which is sand and I could see that this feed was mixing with the sand so I cut a 2 foot by 3 foot board made kind of 2 inch rail around it and put it under the feeder to see how much was going on the ground. And I see it on the board now. But they're gonna have to eat it off the board or go hungry.
Having said that, they have the regular feeder in the coop so they won't starve to death😁
OK, Maybe a little weird, quoting myself. But the jury's in!
all the fine brown stuff in the new feed is on the board underneath the feeder, and they're not eating it. So when this is done, it's done and I'm back to Farm Fleet crumbles plus the egg laying really is suffering right now.
Always learning🙃

We have been doing deep litter too, and overall I like it. But it's so dusty and I think that with our volume of birds we're actually wasting a lot of feed. They drop it and don't bother picking it up. Always trying to tweak things
We've always used horse bedding pellets. It helps keep our coop dry and zero maintenance until spring when we shovel the sawdust and pulverized poop into a wheelbarrow and dump it around trees, some in the garden and compost, flower beds, etc.

I made a chicken feeder out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket that wastes very little if any feed. I could feed any type of feed in it and it always emptied completely..
I posted plans on byc somewhere , but was told basically that I was a liar. so I don't post any plans anymore.. I generally just read posts, now..
I'd sure go rate it high. Give us the link and we'll help you out. I have no doubts who one is that said that to you. There is someone on here that you could tell the grass is green and she'd say not where the dog peed. Garlic is toxic as well....my God, you'd have to feed a chicken 5 cloves of it a day for it to be toxic, but okay, it's toxic lol.

OK, Maybe a little weird, quoting myself. But the jury's in!
all the fine brown stuff in the new feed is on the board underneath the feeder, and they're not eating it. So when this is done, it's done and I'm back to Farm Fleet crumbles plus the egg laying really is suffering right now.
Always learning🙃
I've had the same concern! Lots of waste due to the finer parts of the mix. However, I have learned to ferment the dust and small remnants, so at least I'm able to salvage some of it.

Back
Top Bottom