Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Evening All,
Went to Stoughton with my barn owner and friend Joan. had dinner and then watched a movie with Sam Elliott in it. 1972, boy he was young in that movie!!

I just found out one of my older hens is sick, she was sick last year but recovered. So in the morning she and a buddy will be in a nice warm stall with antibiotics.
Can anyone say whether or not penicillin will work and how much??
Let me know. Thanks!!
Carol

Wow can you guys talk in two days. Jim-LOL Unfortunatly in my house I ususally ask permission and he doesn't. I yell more, but he is the broody type that will only yell if he is really ticked. It's really scary when it happens, so I always give him a heads up if I'm going to do something that might tick him off. I'll probably still do it, but that way he can't come back and say he didn't know about it.
lol.png
I'm 100% german and stubborn as a mule. I love it when he tells me no, I always say "well that was stupid, of course I'm going to do it now." How do you think I got so many horses.
lau.gif

DrHa- Glad you having fun with the drywalling. Dh says the only thing he hates more than drywalling is trim. Hence why none of my windows are trimmed out.
roll.png

TO- The globe wasn't that bad. Just really hard to have a conversation in. The hunter/Jumper show was cool to watch though. We should meet up again this year. Congrats on the apron.
raimnel-I just put on my new toliet seat, that dh bought a week ago and never put on. Like I said the cobblers childern have no shoes, in other words the contractors wife still doesn't have a finish house.
roll.png
Maybe some day.
Sweetfolly-CONGRATS!!!! on both! So exciting when life finally falls in order and starts moving forward on the right path. Good Luck with everything!
Amy- Your boys are so cute!
WCc- Not a fan of cows either. It's the drippy noses that always get me. Oh and they are always sticking their tongue up there. I know why they do it, but it is so gross.
sickbyc.gif

Nothing new here. Planning out the garden and planning out the pheasant area. My dad and I are going in on pheasants this year. We'll see if he really comes over to help me with the flight pens. My parents are in the process of building a new house so they don't have a ton of free time. My new pair is about done being in their dog kennel. They are back by the hay, so can hear the other chickens but can't get to them. The rooster tries every morning to get out. I feel back for them, but in they must stay in there. Eggs are doing good. Well Im off to bed.

watch for the Super Moon tomorrow.. the moon will be the closest to the earth thanit has been in 18 years.. It will look 14% larger and apear brighter.. It is bright tonight..

No early pips on this batch of eggs.. I am starting to get a bit anxious now.. LOL first I try for this , now I worry about it..

I had to put an actual heat light bulb in the brooder outside.. the flood light bulb was a bit too cool .. and I think i will enclose the wire front with plywood or cardboard to help hold the heat in.. at least for a couple of weeks until the chicks get some feathers..

the big chickens are not happy with me because I closed all the doors to the brooder cages..

I think I will continue cleaning that coop out.. I have about 6 more loads of manure to haul out.. maybe more.. I can get about 5 or 6 wheelbarrow loads into the bucket..

I took the tractor and backblade and built a temporary berm in the driveway to keep the water from the field away from the house.. It seems to be working.. we could raise trout in the stream running between the house and the garage.. LOL

jvls... I use a spry bottle too for the finishing.... the sox on the 2x4 is a great idea too.... especially since I'm 5' nothing! I can tack a small one to a long one...hummm... I see less ladder moving in my future! It should be clear here for the moon... looking forward to it! Love your "hen party" tales!
gig.gif

becky... I'm 100% German too!
tongue.png
Unfortunately I also married a 100% German!
th.gif
gig.gif
And my dad was a mechanic...junky cars .... My husband works in a wholesale food whearhouse.... can I get him to bring home frenchfries?
he.gif
crap I don't want...yes... in 17 years I think he brought home maybe 20 bags.... maybe!
idunno.gif
Guess that's the way it goes.

Wcc... when my chicken was sick I was told (by a vet.) Tetracycline Hydrochloride (Duramycin-10) was a better choice.... .03gr a dose. x 2 a day. I mixed it w/ a little water and fed it with a tube. But she was real sick and not eating. Hope they get better soon!

I see that there is going to be a "Fur and Feather" show April 10 at the Walworth Co. Fair grounds! This is a show close enough for me to go to!
celebrate.gif
Anyone else? I would like to get some EEs and some good brown egg layers. I'll have to see what they have. I'm already making plans to enlarge the coop for up to 30.... that should be plenty. (hahaha)
lau.gif
I still have another room,
wink.png
hehehe But I should leave room for the garden stuff
hmm.png

The girls fallowed me to the compost heap today.... boy are they going to be mad when it gets fenced off! Luckily what I threw out there today wasn't too bad. Rose and Matilda decided to meet the neighbors too! At least they are farm people and shooed them back with no issues, turns out the son (who shooed them) went to H.S. w/ my oldest. I talked to "mom and dad" a couple of days before and they said if my chickens want to peck around in their yard it's no problem. They just worry a bit about the one dog. He's penned but has gotten out.
hmm.png

It is sooooo nice to watch them
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Good Morning everyone, I've been out of town working. In the meentime I received eggs from Lyle Behl and my wife put them in the bator for me. I'll make a chicken farmer out of her yet.
lol.png
I got home and the bator is running at 101 is this ok? Wow I can't believe how the snow has gone down in just a few days.
Well I've got coffee going so going to get a cup. Today I've got to coach 4-H basketball and our club has a prety busy schedule we have 5 teams in the tourney at Shiocton. See ya later. Have a great day!!
wee.gif

Morning all. The oldest just got over the Flu, and now has been complaining all night of "Sore Ears"....dang another ear infection I fear. That boy needs to gain some serious weight I say, but mom (Giggles) keeps telling me he's fine....IDK
hu.gif
Think I may slip some weight gainer in his chocolate shake some time....
gig.gif
gig.gif

Anyhow, got a new A-Frame Coop made so we can get the ladies out of the mud and on higher ground. Should have looked a little closer before we put the existing large coop where it is.
he.gif

of course, like I told Giggles, when we get the nest boxes moved and the roosts up, the frost will be out of the ground and all the mud will be gone
fl.gif
Probably a little early for that though.

Rebuilt one chicken tractor yesterday with a mini coop on it, gonna try to tackle the big one today, if we don't run out of lumber...
barnie.gif

The oldest has already claimed the new A-Frame coop for his ducks once things dry out and we move the big coop....He says "We'll put it up on some timbers and add a ramp to it and paint it..." He's gonna be a busy boy I guess...
celebrate.gif

Cristy- Thanks for the kind words about the blog.

Have a Great day all!!

Last edited:
Good Morning All!!! Boy everyone is up early today, I slept in, it felt great! DA funny story about the boy laying claim to the A frame! Sounds like he's on his way to being an addict. CP good to hear from ya! You sound as busy too. Cindlady I'll bet there are some moments at your house with you both being from the Fatherland. My mothers maiden name was Seidentoph so I know of which you speak. My BFF works at McCains so we get our fries at a great price. One of these days gonna try precooking and freezing home made. Less salt and chems in them huh bigz. Jim I didn't realize it had been that long ago but a number of years ago I was up north and the moon looked like you could reach up and touch it. Bec I'll take trimming out to drywalling any day. I love cows, their delishious! Gonna give the walls a wipe down and one last look. I'm to the point that that's all better it's gonna get. Then out to get the last of the wood pile out back brought in and back the trailer up to the coop for a major clean out. Got 9 eggs for the last couple of days then yesterday only 4. Thinking maybe there's a nest out there somewhere. Don't think we'll get many today with the clean out at prime laying time but it has to be done. They'll just have to hold it. Looked in the crawl space this morning and the level was above the pump. Thought what the? Then looked and saw it was still unplugged from the remodel. DUH Have a good one!

Grrrr! I got 1 chick that seems to be stuck in the shell, It's all zipped but can't push the shell apart and now it's been open since like midnight and it's drying.

we have 8 others out and a load of pips and 1 zipping.

I am just on my first cuppa.. I read through the posts and make a mental note to reply, then when I get to reply, I forget who said what or what i was going to say.. I think from now on I am going to come straight to reply and then read the posts underneath.. It takes me longer to figure things out than most..

good news is: we have a pip.. It is only a few hours early..But I don't really consider any pip on the due date early..

CP. eggs incubate and hatch at 99.5F lower temps slow them down,,, higher temps speed things up... there can be issues with either,,, and there can be issues with 99.5F too.. I think I will keep dealing with the issues of 99.5F,, despite of what they say in the incubating and hatching threads.... I am satisfied with my 65% to 85% hatches.. and yes, I do count the clears and cracked in my % count.. If I put 60 eggs in, I want 60 out.....

Annie just announced that she has to go to town for some groceries.. I realize she has to get away, but it sure cramps my style.. I was going to take out some more manure today.. I don't get these ambitious streaks very often,, she should realize this after 47 years...eh?

when I get trapped inside, I often bake something.. maybe there is method to her madness,,,,,,,????????

why is the ( ? ) on a shift key, when the seldom used ( ; ) is not ??

Back
Top Bottom