Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Got some really nice Americuna pullets from Dandelion Acres yesterday. Al - thanks again for the chicks. Everybody got settled fine last night. The EE are 4xs the size of my banties!! I need to rearrange stuff so the banties don't get run over. At least the ducking has someone her own size now to rough house with:) stayed up too late watching the Wisconsin game -- GO BADGERS!!

Good nasty Morning Everyone! Rain/sleet here. Wish I was heading to the swap just to see you guys. dkvart1 WELCOME! That's going to be quite the transition Fl. to Wi. Hope your move goes smoothly! ODrH how could you not look into both those faces and not love em. Hope your hatch is OK! WCc sorry to hear about your hen! bl4 Happy B'day!!!! Glad to hear Jules is back with friends. Looks like today is a put tools away day and help Laura clean house. We both busted butt yesterday. Had a problem getting Btwo in the coop last night with the new sleeping arrangements. She insisted that it was all WRONG! Of course Peatwo has to follow her where ever she goes, I'd get one in and chase the other only to have both of them out. Chinese fire drill.
roll.png
She'll just have to adjust. The girls sure had a good time making their nests to their specs. Oh that piece of straw doesn't belong there it goes over here. Stupid human! Fired up the grill and made up 2 lbs of burgers for the freezer then threw on a couple of steaks and L made garlic taters in the oven. It was yummie! Hope you guys find what you want at the swap and enjoy your company!

No problem Cristy, at least we know they went to a great home!!! Rain here, good thing, we were just wishing for some more mud
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
Sounds like some nasty weather this week, typical March I guess. The ladies are all high and dry, so let it rain. Have a great day all!!! GO BADGERS!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
ok I gotta ask, How can I..... grrrr IDK how the even explain it. My humidity is up, is it too high? some chicks are WET!
thumbsup.gif
some are sticky :insert thumbs down: driving me nuts, the sticky ones. one died fully zipped!, it couldn't get out and the membrane got "glued" to/over it's nose?
hu.gif
(I didn't see it, it was upside down) had to help one out, I could tell that its healthy and strong but the membrane was so strong/maybe sticky that it just couldn't push it off. once I got the "top" off, it STILL struggled with the membrane.
he.gif
but THEN AT LAST! with one strong gigantic push it was FREE! Anyway, this sticky crap is gonna drive me
somad.gif
! now we have a bunch of wet looking chicks but it's their fuzz all glued to them.
somad.gif
rant.gif
last year when we hatched we had one that was all sticky like that and (IDK if this is why, but) it ended up not getting fuzz. it was naked
th.gif
until it got feathers.
gig.gif
NOW she is the prettiest girl out there!
lau.gif

later, I gotta make it to church this a.m.

Thanks for the welcome folks. DH grew up in southern Wis so he's excited to be heading back there, we're not much for the Florida heat (I grew up near chicago).

Hurley, beautiful pics, the one of the puppy and the little one especially!

Sounds like many of you meet up from time to time, that's wonderful! I'm really looking forward to being in a friendlier place than I am now!

TO, I do not have any striped eggs here, it must have been a fluke. You should candle one of those duck eggs though, they have a swirl pattern to the eggshell that makes it look like a twist ice cream cone..... I am glad they are settled in and back to laying!

Everyone have fun at the BD swap.......
hmm.png
I wish I was going.

The DH and I are going to try to have a date night tonight to celebrate out anniversary..... we were the old married couple before we were old!!!
wink.png

DK1, welcome to WI!!!! We are having a meet-up at the end of June, it is posted in the meet-up section of the board, and I think TO has a link to it with her siggy line....

ODrH, that pup is beautiful!!!!!

And a big ole' HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Amyable!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Hey guys
smile.png

Sorry haven't been on, i'm gone 12 hours a day for work and when I get home I nearly have the energy to check my email before going to bed!

So great news--- the ducks started laying eggs! Well my Khaki crosses did. We've gotten 4 so far, one each day! Now wondering what the lone scovie is doing. Not sure if it's male or female either...I am 98% sure it's female..but i'm not sure. It cooed at me and I have yet to hear it hiss. It has carnucling but only right around its eyes and nares, it doesn't take up half it's face like drakes i've seen. I will take some pictures and get ideas from the boards.

Now, I need egg education 101!!! I have only hatched reptile eggs, which are FAR different then bird eggs. I know I need to turn them...how often? Whats the temp/humidity to incubate at (for scovies), I think scovies go 35 days before hatch. What does "lock down" mean, and how can you guys set many eggs at once? Do you collect them and keep them at room temp, then set them? How many days can you do that for? Reptile eggs need to be set immediately. Are scovies good mommys? I thought they were, so I am hoping to just let her go broody if she will, but just need to know the basics in case of back up. I doubt we'll incubate any khakis unless I stick a few in with the broody muscovie. I'd really just rather the scovie take care of all this business
smile.png

Another question, do they lay and egg each day and not generally sit on them until they reached their clutch size, then settle down? Or should they be sitting on them once they start laying them?

Once I figure out what my scovie is I am going to add a few more to the gang. I would like another egg laying female...and would like a male scovie for my female.

Dkv welcome to "Cheeseheads" The weather here today is sh--y ! Snow and sleet
woot.gif
first day of Spring
sickbyc.gif
oh well it will happen sooner or later. Hope all that went to BD swap didn't freeze and found some good deals.

Last edited:
didn't make the swap, with the rain, no truck, and 2 sick kids it just didn't work out, so now I have to let all those I caught back out, anyone want some chocolate 'scovey ducks, they are all packed up to go most are nice looking hens.

Back
Top Bottom