Woman gets to keep ducks!! in N.C.

onecent

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 8, 2007
halifax co. north carolina
Alright the lady gets to keep her ducks in the city limits of Roanoke Rapids, N.C. Im So Very happy for her, now, .....how do i get to get my chickens back? if she got to do this with ducks, what about my chickens?? seems like it would be a little easier for me to do , please way in on this for me, thanks!

here is the article ,I was the one about the chickens

Donna Davis was greeted with good news from the city this morning — she will be able to keep her ducks.
“I was very excited,” said Davis, who came to city council on June 12 about the matter.
Her children were asleep when city officials came by this morning to tell her research by interim police Chief Jeff Hinton and Public Works Director Larry Chalker determined the ducks were domesticated. “They were bouncing up and down in the house.”
Since the matter was first publicized, Davis said she received many offers from people who would let the ducks stay in the country. “I had a lot of people on Facebook,” supporting her and offering to keep the ducks for her.
61412duck2.jpg
Davis said she would continue to care for the ducks, which she bought from Tractor Supply as Easter gifts. “I’m getting them a new swimming pool this week. It was the best news I had to wake up to.”
According to a memo from Interim City Manager Ed Wyatt, “The staff has been researching the authority the City has to regulate ducks in the City. In their research relative to this matter, it is now obvious that a duck is classified as a domestic pet. It is now obvious that the City doesn’t have regulatory authority over ducks in the city.”
The memo continues, “It has been called to my attention that there was an issue dealing with urban chickens at the beginning of last year.
“Apparently, at that time, you all did not desire to change the ordinance relative to chickens in the City. In some cities, it appears that chickens have been allowed for various reasons.”
61412duck3.jpg
Wyatt said he conferred with Mayor Emery Doughtie and City Attorney Gilbert Chichester on the matter. “We concluded, at least for the time being, that the City should not enforce ducks being in the City, and in light of the chicken issue, both of these need to have careful study at the same time.”
He closed the memo by thanking Chalker and Hinton for their work on what he termed a sensitive matter. “In light of this fact, the staff will inform Ms. Davis that, at least for the time being, this would not be enforced.”
Chalker clarified this morning it was not city sanitation workers picking up trash who reported the matter.

Last edited:
Ok, I just got "word" last Monday that I can get my chickens back (from a city official) but they are not going to change the law???? but the person told me, that since this lady gets to keep her ducks, there is no difference between ducks & chickens so get my birds and the said official will not enforce the ordinance............what do you think??? I would hate to spend the $$ ...again......& something go haywire.........

Wow, that is a tricky one. Can you get the "word" from the city official on writing? That would give you more of a leg to stand on in the event down the road a different city official decides to makes waves again. If all you can say is "someone told me its okay", that won't carry as much weight as producing a letter stating that you are allowed to have the chickens.

In addition, it seems like there needs to be a change in the law. They are opening up Pandora's Box by unofficially allowing you to have chickens and this other lady to have ducks but officially not allowing other people to do the same. Perhaps the two of you can get together and draft an official request to the city council to have the law changed? A petition from others in the area who support you to go along with it?

Hi, yes that is a tricky one! They wont put it in writing, I just have to go on their word, only thing I have to stand on is the news paper article about letting the lady keep the ducks, that did get plenty of coverage, and I did have a witness when the official said I could get them back, I guess I will get about 6 silkies in the spring & see what happens, although it would be nice if i could get the law amended.

Back
Top Bottom