Woods Coop Complete...mostly

Done. NW Illinois. Temperatures were brutally cold last winter. As you can see in the picture, there is plenty of cover from the wind with the trees to the North. Still, -30 F a couple of times is just cold. I may have to cover the front with a sheet of plywood or something during those few periods.
Prooobably not....need that ventilation!

I've found an occasional dose of electrolytes helps with extreme cold as well as heat.

That’s super nice. I want one. Is it a kit you can buy?
No. Not sure if they have those for Woods coops. I just searched here and online and sketched up my own design. Many make 10X16's but I wanted something not so big. There is a book you can get for free online that was written a long time ago by a professor from Cornell. Some of the info is dated but for a chicken coop, I found it very informative. I based a lot of my design from that.

Prooobably not....need that ventilation!

I've found an occasional dose of electrolytes helps with extreme cold as well as heat.

Yah, forgot about that. I grew up on a confinement turkey farm and Mom and Dad would run electrolytes during the winter for the flock. Boosted their metabolism which helped there immune system and kept them healthier as well.

No. Not sure if they have those for Woods coops. I just searched here and online and sketched up my own design. Many make 10X16's but I wanted something not so big. There is a book you can get for free online that was written a long time ago by a professor from Cornell. Some of the info is dated but for a chicken coop, I found it very informative. I based a lot of my design from that.
Ahh. Thanks! Wish there were plans readily available.

Yah, forgot about that. I grew up on a confinement turkey farm and Mom and Dad would run electrolytes during the winter for the flock. Boosted their metabolism which helped there immune system and kept them healthier as well.
That's interesting to know...I just tried it on a whim and it definitely reduced cold stress events.

Back
Top Bottom