Woods Coop Complete...mostly

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm kind of lazy. I was hoping the OP would mention what he used and the process he went through to decide and maybe shed some light on some other choices (hint hint).;)

I used Pre-primed smart-side paneling. Caulked the seams and overlapped above 8’. I think you can buy this paneling to length to avoid overlap but it meant waiting for delivery so bought what was on the shelf. Be sure to paint cut seams.

I used Pre-primed smart-side paneling.

One of my desires for using metal siding was the smooth interior finish that would discourage mite infestation (as my understanding goes). I decided against metal siding because the vertical edges are so hard to finish because of the ridges. What is the interior surface of Smart-side like?

Last edited:
Hmm sounds about right. I keep looking for good salvage near me but I don't see lumber!
A lot of word of mouth. Something like, “what are you building in your backyard” I tell them a chicken coop and they say what are you making it out of? I say, don’t know yet. Then about 1 out of 5 say “I got blah blah blah in the shed I would love to get rid of if you come and get it”.

If they see it being put to good use then they don’t find it to be a loss. I will give them some eggs to say thank you and they see me recognizing and appreciating and would do it all over again.

One of my desires for using metal siding was the smooth interior finish that would discourage mite infestation (as my understanding goes). I decided against metal siding because the edges are so hard to finish because of the ridges. What is the interior surface of Smart-side like?

Like plywood. Steel is hot. I installed it on my roof but had to insulate the ceiling or it becomes an oven. Keep the wood paneling off the ground and wood is fine. Paint paint paint.

Like plywood. Steel is hot. I installed it on my roof but had to insulate the ceiling or it becomes an oven

Metal is much hotter than plywood. I thought you used asphalt shingles. I figured that heat from a metal roof would just rise and escape through the top windows. If I have to use plywood on the roof, I'd rather user shingles. Probably cheaper, right?

Metal is much hotter than plywood. I thought you used asphalt shingles. I figured that heat from a metal roof would just rise and escape through the top windows. If I have to use plywood on the roof, I'd rather user shingles. Probably cheaper, right?

No, ribbed steel. The heat is coming from the roof and just kinda looms and radiates in the coop. The windows helps move it but not fast enough. Insulation slows that heat transfer. I didn’t see an appreciable difference to go to shingles after buying plywood and shingles.

No, ribbed steel. The heat is coming from the roof and just kinda looms and radiates in the coop. The windows helps move it but not fast enough. Insulation slows that heat transfer. I didn’t see an appreciable difference to go to shingles after buying plywood and shingles.

What did you use for roof insulation?

Back
Top Bottom