Wormer for Peafowl

Ivermec and Safe Guard do not treat the same group of worms. If you are alternating these wormers you are treating some worms while allowing others to run out of control. 

Wow, this is an old thread, but what heck, I'll reply.

According to studies, when the proper dose of ivermectin is given, it's not likely to treat anything other than large roundworms, but if large enough doses are given, and I mean *large*, it will treat most other worms. IMO, don't waste your money on it, just buy Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole), have routine fecals done, and work with a vet.

-Kathy

According to studies, when the proper dose of ivermectin is given, it's not likely to treat anything other than large roundworms, but if large enough doses are given, and I mean *large*, it will treat most other worms. IMO, don't waste your money on it, just buy Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole), have routine fecals done, and work with a vet.

-Kathy

You need to consider the source of the post you are replying to.
wink.png

-Kathy

You need to consider the source of the post you are replying to.  ;)

Hard for me to understand why so many people dredge up these old threads. :idunno oh well, guess I'll keep replying to them.

There's other misinformation in this thread, but I can't deal with that now. Hopefully I won't forget.

-Kathy

Last edited:
In between wormings you can use DE that is designed for internal use on poultry to help with worms. I use some in their food as well, it has worked very well cayenne pepper can help with worms but regular chemical wormings should still be done.

In between wormings you can use DE that is designed for internal use on poultry to help with worms. I use some in their food as well, it has worked very well cayenne pepper can help with worms but regular chemical wormings should still be done.
DE is a waste of money.

Best to have routine fecals done and use proper amounts of wormers that will treat whatever worms one has.

-Kathy

I have a very good friend who has his own feed mixed by the local co-op and has DE put into the recipe. He says basically the same thing, 'works for me'. The problem is he doesn't know why his birds die.

Please don't think we are picking on you or denigrating you in any way. We just see a lot of antidotal statements made that lead to other people killing their birds with poor information. I have been one of those people that lost birds because I believed I was doing the right thing according to the advice I found on the internet. The result looked like this;

DE is a waste of money.

Best to have routine fecals done and use proper amounts of wormers that will treat whatever worms one has.

-Kathy

I am so loving my microscope! It is such a great help to be able to run an exam whenever I think I might have a problem in between regular worming schedules.

Just two weeks ago we have a pen with broody chickens next to a pen with peas that had an abnormal poo. The chickens had cocci so I ran tests on the adjacent pen, no cocci present on the slide. What a relief!

Oh no I totally understand I should have phrased my response better. I do use Wazine as a wormer and do so regularly but in between wormings I use cayenne pepper and DE. I know they are no substitute for chemical wormers but after losing birds last year I am using every method at my disposal to keep worms from becoming a problem again. I figure that while they are not as effective as the Wazine they certainly can't hurt.

Oh no I totally understand I should have phrased my response better. I do use Wazine as a wormer and do so regularly but in between wormings I use cayenne pepper and DE. I know they are no substitute for chemical wormers but after losing birds last year I am using every method at my disposal to keep worms from becoming a problem again. I figure that while they are not as effective as the Wazine they certainly can't hurt.

For the other worms you need to use Valbazen of Safeguard.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom