Wormer for Peafowl

Oh no I totally understand I should have phrased my response better. I do use Wazine as a wormer and do so regularly but in between wormings I use cayenne pepper and DE. I know they are no substitute for chemical wormers but after losing birds last year I am using every method at my disposal to keep worms from becoming a problem again. I figure that while they are not as effective as the Wazine they certainly can't hurt.

Wazine kills roundworms. Wazine does NOT kill cecal worms. It does not kill the worms that can infect your birds with blackhead. Wazine does not kill gapeworms. Wazine is VERY LIMITED in the kinds of worms that it kills.

Here's info from the Merck vet manual about blackhead:

Quote:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/histomoniasis/overview_of_histomoniasis_in_poultry.html

Fenbendazole and albendazole are "benzimidazole anthelmintics" -- wormers in the category that kill the worms which carry blackhead protozoa.

Using Wazine does not protect peafowl from blackhead.

Oh no I totally understand I should have phrased my response better. I do use Wazine as a wormer and do so regularly but in between wormings I use cayenne pepper and DE. I know they are no substitute for chemical wormers but after losing birds last year I am using every method at my disposal to keep worms from becoming a problem again. I figure that while they are not as effective as the Wazine they certainly can't hurt.

Just remember that Wazine is not killing anything except the round worms. A one-day treatment with Safeguard will do the same thing, five days of Safeguard will kill em all. And of course a follow up treatment in ten days is also necessary.

I had a question about the dosage of safe guard. I have a peacock, peahen, and a rooster pheasant that live together and need worming, as I found a large parasitic worm this morning in one of the peafowl droppings. It's the first time I've ever seen one in any of my bird droppings and I know I gotta act soon if I want to prevent a peafowl death. My question is hiw much should I dose them with? All three were born this spring.

I had a question about the dosage of safe guard. I have a peacock, peahen, and a rooster pheasant that live together and need worming, as I found a large parasitic worm this morning in one of the peafowl droppings. It's the first time I've ever seen one in any of my bird droppings and I know I gotta act soon if I want to prevent a peafowl death. My question is hiw much should I dose them with? All three were born this spring.

If you think it was a large roundworm you can give 0.23 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy

If you think it was a large roundworm you can give 0.23 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy
Thank you. I actually couldn't find any safe guard for goats at my local co-op so I went with Positive Pellet. Goat Dewormer medicated. Have you had any experience with this type?

Thank you. I actually couldn't find any safe guard for goats at my local co-op so I went with Positive Pellet. Goat Dewormer medicated. Have you had any experience with this type?

All of the regular farm stores, TSC, Atwoods, etc., will carry Safeguard for goats. Even your local vet should have it on the shelf. I don't know why people in general, don't think to buy meds from their local vet especially those living in rural communities. My vets prices are usually better than on-line resources and if she does not have it they special order for me and it comes the next day.

Yesterday I ran a fecal on our wormy dogs and went into town for some dewormer. While I was there I asked if they had a gallon of Feca-Sol, the solution used for fecal exams. While they don't always have an extra jug sitting around, they said I could pick one up tomorrow.

@Rocky64 , I just looked in my three books and none of them list morantel tartrate as a wormer for poultry, so I would *not* use it!

-Kathy

Thanks for all the information and help. I am going to take it back and go to a nearby town and to Family Farm and Home, I'm sure they have it. I'm glad I asked about it before I used it on my peafowl, chickens, and pheasants. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the information and help. I am going to take it back and go to a nearby town and to Family Farm and Home, I'm sure they have it. I'm glad I asked about it before I used it on my peafowl, chickens, and pheasants. Thanks again!
You're welcome!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom