Wormer help

fluffyxx

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 11, 2012
So I took 3 of my chickens to the vet the other day, one we are treating for bumble foot currently. But he done a fecal on them and said they had a few different types of worms. I didn’t ask specifics, I should have.

He advised for us to treat with safeguard pellets for a week as their only source of food. Well my picky chickens don’t seem to be eating enough that I would think it would make a difference in helping for worms.

He said the other option was to treat them orally everyday for a week. I have about 15 chickens. And I am willing to do it every day, but was wondering if there was something else I could give them that wouldn’t require it be done every day.
I’ve tried to do some research but I get more confused the more I read. Haha.
I was thinking about ordering some of this stuff.
B6B03906-296A-4241-BFDD-D4B892BE6C4D.png

As long as it's not gapeworm, which requires dosing every day for several days to kill (and gapeworm is pretty rare in chickens and also causes gasping and trouble breathing so it's unlikely) then you can use Safeguard liquid goat dewormer to deworm them. The dose is .23 ml per pound of body weight. You give it once, then do it again ten days later.

Valbazen is also a good choice. The dose for that .08 ml per pound, and again you do it once and then repeat it again ten days later.

Yes I’m about positive it’s not gapeworm. I haven’t noticed any breathing problems.
The safeguard liquid sounds easy enough. And my tractor supply has that in stock, so I wouldn’t have to wait on shipping.

How do you go about weighing your chickens to get the right dose? Haha most of mine I can catch, but I have one girl who refuses to be held at all.

Yes I’m about positive it’s not gapeworm. I haven’t noticed any breathing problems.
The safeguard liquid sounds easy enough. And my tractor supply has that in stock, so I wouldn’t have to wait on shipping.

How do you go about weighing your chickens to get the right dose? Haha most of mine I can catch, but I have one girl who refuses to be held at all.

You can ballpark it and go by breed average weight and it should be close enough :)

@fluffyxx Your vet mentioned that your birds had a few different types of worms. If one type of worm are capillary worms, which is likely, then you would have to dose your birds 5 days in a row with the Safeguard liquid goat wormer in order to get rid of the capillary worms.
You would be better off using Valbazen. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Repeat again in 10 days.
You can always call your vet and ask what types of worm eggs were detected in the sample.

Okay, so I haven’t ordered the Valbazen yet. They seemed to eat the pellets pretty good. But I’m concerned about my rooster. He seems weak and his comb is pale. So I was going to go ahead and get some safeguard wormer from tsc. Since I can get that quicker. Will that cover most of the common types of chicken worms? Also should I get liquid or the paste? I’m also nervous about dosing them orally. I’m afraid I’ll squirt it down the wrong pipe. 😩 And I’ll dose them all for 5 days straight with that?

Also is there anything that I can give him to try and help perk him up some? He eats pretty well, we’ve been giving scrambled egg and he will eat a few bites then go off in search of bugs instead.
Thanks

Also, I should mention that the vet gave him a shot of ivermectin for leg mites, but also said it would take care of worms. I have to give him another shot of the ivermectin tomorrow and then another in 2 more weeks. So should the injection of ivermectin take care of the same worms that safeguard will? Will it be too much to give him the shot and the safeguard?

Last edited:
So I’ve been dosing him with the safeguard liquid dewormer, he’s had it for 2 days now, I gave him his oral ivermectin last night like the vet told me to, and he still is acting very weak. How long would it take for him to show some improvement?
I’m just wondering if something else may be going on. Or if the worms just have deprived him and he isn’t able to recover.
He still eats some, just isn’t overly interested in food. And he lays down a lot while out in the yard. His comb is light pink. And he isn’t very steady on his feet.

I recommend only using the Safeguard, not both wormers. Try giving him plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. The boiled rice will settle his digestive tract and the buttermilk will coat intestinal lining and is a much better probiotic than yogurt. Hopefully he'll readily eat the mixture.

I recommend only using the Safeguard, not both wormers. Try giving him plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. The boiled rice will settle his digestive tract and the buttermilk will coat intestinal lining and is a much better probiotic than yogurt. Hopefully he'll readily eat the mixture.
Well I only had to give him the ivermectin because it had been 2 weeks since his vet appointment & his first dose. The next dose will be in another 2 weeks. The vet told us to do that for treatment of scaly leg mites.

How much buttermilk mixed with the rice? Like a soupy consistency? Or just enough to make it a little more moist?

I added a few pics. One is of a poo while we had him out giving him his wormer. The other is of his comb, it looks redder in the picture than it does in person. And then the other is a pic of his bottom.

Attachments

• 5A090A44-BFC8-447E-B6D9-1D8029524BFE.jpeg
    5A090A44-BFC8-447E-B6D9-1D8029524BFE.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FA645512-4800-445F-877D-127588F0E1C2.jpeg
    FA645512-4800-445F-877D-127588F0E1C2.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 2
  • 50DA8244-B7AC-43D2-8BA6-082D640B9972.jpeg
    50DA8244-B7AC-43D2-8BA6-082D640B9972.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 2
It would be best to put Nu-Stock on his legs to smother and kill scaly leg mites. It can be found in the equine section at a feed store. Shake the tube well and wear gloves when applying it. See pic below.
Soupy consistency with the boiled rice, make sure it's cooled so your rooster can eat it.

You need to wash off his rear end really well. If you dont, your rooster could end up with fly strike. As a matter of fact, check his rear end for maggots. It's possible you may have seen maggots in his feces instead of cecal worms.
thnustock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom