Worming Chickens?

do you worm only meat producing hens? or layers? im confused, and new to all this, getting my chicks for free range happy egg production only. do i have to worm?

I was wondering myself. I don't think it's a big deal if you have a small flock and I think most prefer chemical free. I've never wormed my hens and have never had a problem.

I look at it this way. The worms aren't visible to us. Any more than the worms (parasites) that get into our dogs and cats. Do we medicate them for worms, though we don't see the worms? Yes. Why wouldn't we do it for our pet chickens? Also parasites reduce body weight and stress the egg laying hens, so either meat producers or layers -- I think they deserve some help in this matter.

Parasites can get into your flock if you have wild birds (in your trees). The droppings of one bird may even carry eggs into the soil under a bush and your hens can pick it up when scratching around. May not be as "big a deal" as confined large commercial sites, but the reality is the parasites don't care if its a big commercial operation bird or an aviary bird who is a pet.

do you worm only meat producing hens? or layers? im confused, and new to all this, getting my chicks for free range happy egg production only. do i have to worm?

I'd worm any poultry that are exposed to possible parasites. I'm not doing it just for my dinner table, but for their longevity. Winter weather is stressful enough on my hens, they don't need the added battle of parasites inside their bodies stealing away their energy.

I'd worm any poultry that are exposed to possible parasites. I'm not doing it just for my dinner table, but for their longevity. Winter weather is stressful enough on my hens, they don't need the added battle of parasites inside their bodies stealing away their energy.
ok good to know guys, i will revisit the library soon for reading material on the subject. we own a eco friendly dog boutique and feed our animals hollistic and try to be as all natural as possible, so im sure i will be going that route. i have had a lot of success with using human grade DE in my dogs food around the full moon, when worms cycles happen. haha i probably sound like a **** witch doctor, but wish me luck! if i need to find an alternate route, im glad you are all here to help :)

Nope, I don't worm my dogs except for heart worms. Never had a dog with worms AFTER they were wormed as puppies. I have never wormed my chickens. They usually are only here two years, but I have had hens live to 8 in the past & they never were wormed. I will worm if I have reason to, but if I wanted eggs with chemicals I would buy them at the store. All this sevin, wormers & antibiotics is crazy!!! Ok, not trying to be a pain, just my thoughts and opinion when reading much of this board.

I look at it this way. The worms aren't visible to us. Any more than the worms (parasites) that get into our dogs and cats. Do we medicate them for worms, though we don't see the worms? Yes. Why wouldn't we do it for our pet chickens? Also parasites reduce body weight and stress the egg laying hens, so either meat producers or layers -- I think they deserve some help in this matter.

Parasites can get into your flock if you have wild birds (in your trees). The droppings of one bird may even carry eggs into the soil under a bush and your hens can pick it up when scratching around. May not be as "big a deal" as confined large commercial sites, but the reality is the parasites don't care if its a big commercial operation bird or an aviary bird who is a pet.

I don't worm my dogs and cats, unless I see worms. Why would you worm your dog or cat for no reason. Even when my dog or cat eats a rabbit, the vet won't worm unless they have been seen. I am one of those who don't worm and use a natural preventives. Never have I had an issue with worms.

At what age should you worm your flock? Mine are 8 weeks old and have never been wormed (to my knowledge), I got them when they were a week old

I have always used DE, kelp, cayannne as a food supplement for my flock and I was a big believer. The parasite problems I had last summer was an eye opener for me.
Valbazen is albendazole which is used world wide for humans with parasites, yes, we do get them quite frequently. It is used off label because it is not used commercially in chickens---big producers kill their birds early and they never touch the ground since they are in cages, hence, they don't have the need to worm their birds.
I think we should routinely worm our chickens as good caregivers to our flock, if nothing else, other than to help them maintain their health. By the time you notice weight loss and scruffy feathers they have a huge parasite load.
My tale of my parasite journey is in my signature line.

Back
Top Bottom