Worming Chickens?

here we have "issues" with worms. Perhaps its because we're in ag country with lots of livestock. wild rabbits here have liver parasites, so even humans won't eat the rabbits. If my dog killed a wild bunny and ate it, he'd be getting meds for the parasites because those buggers transfer into other mammals. Heart and liver parasites are rampant here and yes you can have pets and humans for that matter having parasites you don't see. If you've ever watched the slow death of your dog, due to liver failure... you may have a different perspective. Watching them get to the point of seizures and looking at you in confusion and you not being able to do anything to ease their pain is horrifying. Sorta changes how you view "prevention". ALso who said I was giving chemicals? Bad assumption. I just believe in Worming. Nothing was said about commercial poisons in the form of worming meds.

ok good to know guys, i will revisit the library soon for reading material on the subject. we own a eco friendly dog boutique and feed our animals hollistic and try to be as all natural as possible, so im sure i will be going that route. i have had a lot of success with using human grade DE in my dogs food around the full moon, when worms cycles happen. haha i probably sound like a **** witch doctor, but wish me luck! if i need to find an alternate route, im glad you are all here to help :)

I would love to hear more about the use of the worming cycle and full moon. Makes since since many organisms mate in mass during the full moon (which just happened). Have you tried using apple cider vinegar in your products? I wonder how effective it would be once its cooked? I understand it has numerous values that would be helpful including vitamins and its a great cleanser. I wonder though it could be "masked" and placed into dog water at the beginning of the worm cycle? I don't know if it would be any use, but considering its used as a wholistic cleansing (mixed with water & honey) and is used in medicating poultry... why not for dogs?

I have always used DE, kelp, cayannne as a food supplement for my flock and I was a big believer. The parasite problems I had last summer was an eye opener for me.
Valbazen is albendazole which is used world wide for humans with parasites, yes, we do get them quite frequently. It is used off label because it is not used commercially in chickens---big producers kill their birds early and they never touch the ground since they are in cages, hence, they don't have the need to worm their birds.
I think we should routinely worm our chickens as good caregivers to our flock, if nothing else, other than to help them maintain their health. By the time you notice weight loss and scruffy feathers they have a huge parasite load.
My tale of my parasite journey is in my signature line.
Illustrating my ignorance here.... what is DE? When people use these abbreviations, "newbies" like me have no clue what these codes refer to. :D

Yeah, I think it is a good thread too.
So, herbs don't work to fully worm chickens? If not, do they help?

They work fully to worm chickens.
I have had several chickens die when I used to use
chemical to worm them. But sense I have been using herbs, I have not lost any to worms and there health is 95% better than when I was using chemical.

Quote:
They work fully to worm chickens.
I have had several chickens die when I used to use
chemical to worm them. But sense I have been using herbs, I have not lost any to worms and there health is 95% better than when I was using chemical.

Have you had fecals done to see if they ever had worms to begin with?

How do you measure "95% better health" ?

Back
Top Bottom