WORST DAY EVER... Our dog

1: its NOT the dogs fault
the dog as you admit is almost constantly on the line, in HER yard and a strange kid entered HER space...

where are the ADULTS in all of this, these kids were playing unsupervised around a dog it the dogs yard, this is in no way shape or form something to blame on the dog....
at best the dog got excited and jumped up and caught the kid keen...
at worst the dog was on a line, and was protecting its territory...

while an 8 yr old is old enough to know better a 5yr old isnt and they shoulnt have been able to get anywhere neer the dog...

unfortunatly now the dogs fate rests in the hands of the words of a dr, your neighbors and you...
you dont seem to be willing to accept responsibility for your dogs actions nor do you seem all that interested in fighting for your dogs right to live should the neighbors take attitude and ask the dog be put to sleep...

but i will say from experience, a single scrape is not usually a bite, bites usually leave at least 2 marks, it was most likely a claw, and even if it was a bite, most states dont require a dog to be put to sleep on the first offence...

get the dog OFF the line and into a properly fenced/secured area where strange kids cant get to...plain and simple...

however it sounds like this dog isnt being given the attention, time or training it needs and it might be a good idea to either get a trainer involed and accept that as the adult the dog is YOUr responisbility (unless your DD is 18, legally the dog is YOURS not hers...) or find it a good home where she will get the time, attention and training she needs.

and yes i KNOW this sounds harsh, but sometimes it has to be said.

If you don't want the dog, then find it a new home. Putting it down for this is not the answer, and quite frankly is stupid. You don't even know what really happened, because you can't get a straight story from a kid that young. Also, next time make sure you KNOW what kind of vaccine the dog gets. If the dog was due, did the office not call you or send you a post card in the mail? That's what all the vets around here do. Sorry if this sounds mean, but the kid should never have been allowed anywhere near the dog, and its not the dogs fault. In fact, the dog is the only person in the situation who, to me, isn't responsible for this. You have the kids parents, the kid himself, your son, and you. One or more of those people should have made it impossible for the five year old to get anywhere near the dog without permission.

First of all, I am very sorry that this happened. Second, I wanted to let you know, that if you have the dog put down, be aware that they will have to remove his/her head to send off for testing. If it is determined that it was a scratch and not a bite, and you do not feel that the dog is aggressive, I would have it quarantined for 10 days and then put up a fence. There is no other way to test for rabies, rabies titers will mean nothing to animal control, and they are not cheap. I hope everything works out for the best. I know it is a hard situation. I do not envy you. You and your family are in my thoughts.
hugs.gif

Quote:
actually, the 3 year and the 1 yr vaccine are identical. The only difference is the paperwork submitted to the state.
Also, you can pay for titers, which will show if the vaccine is still active in the dog's system.

OOps, say that you mentioned titers, but definitely worth mentioning again.

Quote:
ok, legally in most states, a dog has to get a second rabies 1 yr later.

Agree that dogs shouldn't jump on people, but that is the problem with dogs on chains. They get frustrated because everyone is running around and playing and they are trapped. There is nothing to keep kids from straying near where the dog is either.

I wouldn't blame the dog at all. An 8yr old isn't old enough to be in charge of a 5yr old neighbor. If the 5 yr old just wandered over, then the fault lies with HIS parents.

Keep in mind that if they do sue, and you use your home owners' insurance to assist you, the insurance company may require that you put the dog down, get rid of the dog, or they may revoke your insurance. I've seen it happen to others in the same situation.

I was bit at 16 by a dog that was raised in an abusive home. I should have known better, but the dog approached me, let me pet it, then bit me suddenly. I did not sue, was bit in the face and thankfully did not need surgery, no one sees the scar now but me. The owners (I babysat their kids, and their dad worked with my dad) said that the dog "ran away" shortly after, but I suspected differently. IN my case, I didn't hold it against the dog, but the kids in that house that taunted it so badly it trusted no one. I know that isn't the case in your case, but not every wants to sue. They might, however, want to make sure their kid will be safe the next time he comes over to play with yours. If you do keep the pet, you might want to remind your children's friends' parents that you do have a dog that can sometimes be aggressive, and that you will do your best to supervise, or otherwise contain the dog so it isn't around kids, but if their kids come to your property, they may want to come along to also help supervise. You can't possibly be aware any time a neighbor child wanders onto your property, but it sounds like fencing might be needed, and a warning sign so that kids don't poke their fingers through...

OH, BTW for rabies shots for dog owners. Most dogs when they get their first shot as growing pups, get a 1-year shot to start, and get the three-year after that. I don't think most vets put the three year into a puppy, because it is too much at once. My vet wouldn't do it on an adult stray that I had, that had no history of a rabies shot. She did the 1 year first, and then did the 3 year ones after that. They need to make sure the dog can handle the vaccine before they give them a bigger, longer lasting dose.

Ok so the doctor said he HAD to treat it as a dog BITE, because there was doubt. Child has 18 stitches about 2 inches from eye. Yes Doctor must report to animal control, but we had already contacted them.

So child came home and animal control will be here in the morning for dog. Dog must go into quarantine, there is no agreement as to if dog can stay here or has to go with them, but i'm guessing has to go with them. Because that decision was made after 5 it will be tommorow when animal control comes. Not sure how they will handle that, as I have no time WHEN they will be here.

So dog goes into quarantine if it doesn't show signs she comes home no issue, and obviously I will be required to get a rabies booster.

my dh came home at about 5 ish and told us that. Also said neighbor was NOT mad, and wasnt angry with dog.

About 6 the childs mom came over and said she just wanted us to know she/they were NOT upset,. Said they know it was accident, and dog was on line in OUR yard. DH had told her he would pay for the medical bills, but she said just pay my copay. I apoligized profusely , she said it was okay accidents happen.

She had been unloading grocereis so had waited till 5yr old had come to our door, then went back to unloading groceries and came running and met dh when she heard child screaming.

SO.... in a truly awful situation, it could not have gone better I guess. I am so relieved and thankful, and hope child does not have a permanant scar either physical or mental. I see a dog lot in our future.

That is the one thing I don't like about chained dogs, or invisible fence for that matter - they can keep the dog confined, but they don't keep anything else out!

It would be like tying your chickens to a tree and hoping that something doesn't come along and eat them

ETA: glad to hear that the parents have a level head on their shoulders.
Depending on your area, the dog might be able to stay at home, provided you have an appropriate place to confine the dog. Usually a secure, covered run that is escape proof. Dog will have to be walked on leash from the house to the kennel (if dog lives in the house).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom