Would you pay to get our dog back?

I wouldn't pay him. It sounds like a quick way for him to pick up a few dollars. If it works on you it could happen again.
I don't believe the dog ever went to the vet in the first place.
If he does show up at your door let your parents handle it. They can ask to see the vet bill and then ask him why he would take the dog there in the first place. I doubt that he would even be able to get in to see a vet that quick, unless it's an emergency. And burrs and a booster shot isn't an emergency.
I would keep the dog inside while you are away.

PLEASE for the sake of all other dog owners out there call the cops. For the sake of the kids who may grow up and do the same wrong thing because Daddy did. I had a dog I was fostering and it got loose and I had to pay 20 to get it back I think and that was from the pound. If someone gave my dog shots I would FLIP!!!! Were there any other dogs in the yard not theirs, I would be checking. It seems odd to me. I would definately want a vet bill and proof of shots "so they were not doubled up on or missed" This would TICK ME OFF!!! Was he waiting for a reward to be posted??

Quote:
Well if it was just someone who 'found' the dog, yeah they would've probably turned it over . Some places charge, some dont' to get your dog back but that's all relative. Since this guy didn't and took their dog to the vet right away, he had an ulterior motive.
Sure there are alot of various factors that play a part in this....dog licensed? (not required in many areas), not vaccinated(maybe not, should be, but not guy's call) , dog kept outside(little toy breeds should be indoor dogs and only let outside supervised. Toy breeds are 'targeted' by those who want to make a buck and small dogs are prey to eagles, other dogs, coyotes etc.) and not microchipped...etc...
I agree with many points but my gut tells me this guy didn't do what he did out of concern for the dog so he shouldn't get a dime.
wink.png

Yes I do have my dog, That was in the first post, I took her anyway, I was not about to put her down, 2nd I am an adult, School is nursing school...lol.

It was never an issue over the money I had atually told all the kids I found, $50 if anyone found her. I was just livid and floored at the nerve of someone taking my dog to the vet knowing whos it was. I live in a very small town, its 6 blocks by 4 blocks if that tells ya anything, and most of the small dogs in town run free where ever they want and no one says anything (mine dont) And there is a top on my kennel that my yorkies are in so no hawks for the one who was worried about that. She had had her shots back in June so no she was not due for any yet. And honestly My vet charges 15$ just to give a vaccine. I do know the groomers in town was 35 or more last time I called so I know they did not take her in, but yes she did have a bath, im just so thankfull they did not try to "trim" her up.

I was also upset about the way he was insinuating that I neglected her becouse of all the stickers, I dont even have any in my yard so thats something she picked up and honestly their yard is the only place I even seen any stickers from. And they had her in a 6X10 pen that they used to have 2 big black skinny labs in and they never even got out even though they have 2 acres of land over there, was really sad. But im the neglectfull one
roll.png

Now with all these weanie dogs, pugs, and poodles running around that they never pick up why all of a sudden grab mine unless they wanted to keep her. So I guess now I will just have to keep them in all day even on a nice day if I am not here. Mom said she could run over and let them out to potty for me so that is taken care of.

I think what I will do is send them a thank you card with 10 bucks for any food, for my 2 yorkies I go through an8lb bag in 2 weeks so I think that more than covers it, and ask for the vet statment (if there is one) since I will need those for her records and then if one is produced I guess I will pay the 15 bucks but only becouse I had said I would, but I dont think I would ever hear from them. And yes I know if she had gone to the pound it would have been a lot more but I would not be near so upset about it if that had been the case.

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from but don't let anyone run over you. You should keep your dogs as you wish theya re your dogs but make sure they are staying on your place. A good neighbor knowing they were yours would have kept them for the day then at first sight of you brought them over na dsaid hey got your pups here ya go might wanna ge them caged etc etc not try to make a buck off of you.
hmm.png

About six months ago we found a little scruffy dog running down the street. We caught him and brought him home. I posted signs and three ads on craigslist. No one replied to the ads or called. After two day I decided to go get his rabies shot because I have other dogs, animals and children. My vet only charges $10.00 for rabies so not bad. On the fourth day his owner read our ad and responded and it was her dog.
I did not demand that she pay the $10.00 back that was my choice to take the dog and have it done and I did not expect her to pay it. Sometimes dogs get out and it is no fault of the owner.
This lady was very happy that we found her dog and did not take him to animal control that she paid me $20.00.
I don't think you should pay anything until you see the bill from the vet. I would want to know why he didn't try to find you the owner! Most people would post signs or something saying that they found a dog. Sounds like he was going to keep your dog to me.

Well...$25 isn't a lot of a "kidnapping" fee. I would go ahead and pay it just to get my baby home safe and sound. You don't know what a nut like that may do to your dog.

...And frankly I have no faith in the police, especially when it comes to animals. We found out it was a neighbor that captured and kept my African grey parrot when he got away from me outside. Inspite of fliers, questioning everyone in the neighborhood, including them, we finally heard and saw him over there 2 years later. They knew he was yelling for me and hid him before the police got there. The police did nothing and told me they had informed them that the statute of limitations had run out anyway and that they were free to keep the bird.

I have a very low opinion of the police for this reason and lots of others.

Just pay the lousy $25 and get your baby back home.

Connie

Pay the man if you care about your dog, I have 7 they are part of my family and I would give my last dollar to get them back. It is our responsibility to keep them safe and away from people like the man your talking about.

Back
Top Bottom