Would you pay to get our dog back?

Every time we find a lost dog, the vet is the first stop --- to check for a micro-chip and also to see if it should be quarantined ---
'better to be safe than sorry' --

If they had a vet receipt, yeah I'd pay it. You need the receipt for the shot record anyway.

Microchip the dog if it is not chipped, it's the only real way besides tattooing to prove ownership.

That said, if I didn't have the money - I'd call the cops, they can't actually keep your animal because they had a vet care for it without your permission.

That's their problem at that point.

We don't vet immediately unless it is injured/ill, when we first find an animal. We do fairly quickly once it appears no one is looking for it. We wouldn't charge an owner for vet care we did give. Though we'd prefer reimbursement - it's something we do ourselves to ensure the well being of the animal and the safety of our own dogs.

When you are taking in a dog, if you don't have enough food, even if the dog does not eat alot you still have to buy the WHOLE bag of food. It doesn't come in parts. It is reasonable that a new bag of food cost 10-25 dollars depending on quality and size of bag.

So shots and a bag of food. Yeah that's a reasonable amount but it in NO way would OBLIGATE you to pay it, to recover the dog. That's on them. If they know it's your dog, they have a legal obligation to give the dog back or they're stealing.

Do protect yourself long term and chip the dog. People do steal or keep dogs they find. Chips and tattoos are the only way to prove ownership.

I think they intended to keep the dog...maybe even resell it. I guess I would involve the police or sheriff because of this...and try to prevent any future problems. I'm not sure I would pay them but, if you do decide to pay them make it is with a check and use the memo area...create a paper trail for yourself - document EVERYTHING. Yes, I agree with the other poster/member who suggested that you get the little dog micro chipped. I'd even run an ad in the local paper with a big "thank you" to the people who "helped" get your dog back!
wink.png
What strange people!

Last edited:
Yeah, holy cramolies!! Just the office visit is $45, not including the shots and other junk they're always trying to push on us
roll.png
We've started doing all of our own shots & don't use the vet unless it's an emergency.

Anyway, back on topic! Very odd that you have multiple dogs in the same pen and only one "got out"?? If he can produce any bills that he incurred for taking care of your dog then just pay the guy and get rid of him.

I'd be PO'd if I was in your shoes too. How dumb can this guy be... Never underestimate stupid!

Back
Top Bottom