You know it's time to clean house when.......

If your floors are not poly urethaned, but oil finished - like mine. Once a year I'm supposed to lightly sand the worst scuffs and such and reoil, wait two weeks and rewax. Wax monthly, buff weekly. "supposed to" being the key word here. Its what gives us that nice rustic floor, over the glossy, shows every scratch polyurethane.

Quote:
*groan* it's been almost a year since I oiled my hardwood. Stop reminding me about the floors!!

Oh boy, I didn't know your were suppost to oil hardwood floors???????

I think it's one of those things you do when no else is around, and you really have nothing else to do.
idunno.gif
I am more self entertaining than that. I want concrete floors next time. Then I could just hose the house out when it gets to bad to stand it anymore.
bun.gif
Scratches could just be polished out, and I would never have to oil it, unless I dropped a bottle of oil on it.
gig.gif

Your chickens had had a party for the past week and invited their 100 or so friends over...and all left deposits on the carpet which were stood on...

Quote:
*groan* it's been almost a year since I oiled my hardwood. Stop reminding me about the floors!!

Oh boy, I didn't know your were suppost to oil hardwood floors???????

If your floors are sealed with polyurathane then NO, you don't have to oil them.

Mine are unsealed, and in some places have been water damaged. Plus they were not taken very good care of over the past 50 years. They are very "thirsty"

BUT by the same reasoning that they need oiling, they also aren't worth the money (and SMELL) to refinish them and go with the polyurathane.

I have a bit of a carpenter's heart, I like spending time with the wood, but.....it does get tiring, plus there's all that precleaning to do first and all that furniture to move around....

Quote:
Actually my mom used to buy floor wax from a commercial supply company. They showed us their back room floor (plain concrete) after they had busted a pallet of wax back there.
gig.gif
BOY it was shiney!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I know it's bad when it takes me 2 years to wash the ceiling. "I just want to know How does a a ceiling get dirty anyway? "
barnie.gif

Tala; I am sure I would love your floors. I love natural wood. It wouldn't last against all the puppies at my house.
lau.gif

Quote:
Actually that's what's so great about it. It already has water damage, cracks, paint, deep scratches, chipped places, really nothing can hurt it anymore because it's already beat up!!! I love it!!!! What's one more scratch??
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom