Young Cockerel Question

Lp84

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
I have a young cockerel about 3 months old give or take I’m not entirely sure. I’ve posted pics of him. I heard him crow one time two days in a row but I haven’t heard him since and it’s been prob a couple weeks now. Is this normal? He and my hens are all I would say fairly quiet as a whole. They also live with two white hybrid female ducks that are a little older and so already full grown. The ducks are the ones in charge but they all live peacefully together and I have separate coops for them when I put them up. They free range most of the day. I’ve had roosters one other time and the day they learned they could crow they did it everyday from that day on so it’s just a new thing for me and trying to understand it. He’s a good little cockerel so far and is very respectful of me.

Attachments

• 5DC547D7-9A7F-49CF-821C-81E04987C30E.jpeg
    5DC547D7-9A7F-49CF-821C-81E04987C30E.jpeg
    831.5 KB · Views: 15
  • F86E796C-FCEB-4445-A304-0B845D5E3E1C.jpeg
    F86E796C-FCEB-4445-A304-0B845D5E3E1C.jpeg
    810.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 52D84795-12BF-4420-A447-A7CE30DEC200.jpeg
    52D84795-12BF-4420-A447-A7CE30DEC200.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 6
Maybe he doesn’t do it because he feels the ducks are in charge. When he gets a bit bigger and more dominant he probably will start every day. I have a coop with three Roos and the third one never bothers because the other two are in charge and try to out crow each other.

Maybe he doesn’t do it because he feels the ducks are in charge. When he gets a bit bigger and more dominant he probably will start every day. I have a coop with three Roos and the third one never bothers because the other two are in charge and try to out crow each other.
Thank you for the response. I was kind of thinking that too. He’s definitely very respectful of them right now. The ducks aren’t aggressive towards the chickens but will poke their bills at them if they are in their way lol. One of the ducks poked the little cockerel right in the backside when he was pecking at the ground. He squawked and jumped about 3 feet up in the air. It was pretty funny. I haven’t seen them do that to a hen yet lol.

Hello!

I don’t know if I’d necessarily call that ‘normal’, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him. As long as he is still behaving normally and not showing any signs of sickness or unnecessary distress, he’ll be fine. I had a young white crested blue polish cockerel that acted similar to what you described in your cockerel. I don’t remember how old he was, but one day, a bunch of my cockerels/roosters all decided to crow right about the same time. He crowed four times, and that was the first time I’d ever seen him do it. After that day, I never saw him crow again, even during the several months later that I had him.

Back
Top Bottom