Young Wild Tom Turkey

Just a little scratch to keep them around? Those hens out there are bound to be raising babies.
wink.png

Okay, okay, I admit it! I put a feeder out for him last night.
duc.gif
But I just wanted to watch him. Hadn't gotten to thinking about Thanksgiving yet.

I wonder if you could tame wild turkeys? If they're out there alive, they must come from pretty healthy stock...
hu.gif

No, you can't tame them. You can get poults from repuatble breeders trying to preserve the wild turkey. some states require a permit for them - like with some of the quail. Check into it.

Are you sure its a tom and not a young jake? If theres too much competition or if hes inexperienced he way wonder but i would be suprised if he "attacked". He may be looking for or have found a good food source near by. Or he already has a harem near and is just cruising to watch out for them.

The wild turkeys around us have learned that when the horses get fed...alot of grain gets spilled and they come running. Before the first hunting season on turkeys here (they were reintroduced) you could feed them just like chickens. They're more careful now but still come running when the grain bucket comes out.

Michele

Quote:
That almost sounds like the voice of experience!
lol.png

Haven't you ever met a really good-looking duck or horse?

If you haven't, then neither have I. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom