A few years ago I asked my Dad and Mum for a chicken for Christmas. That's all I wanted. It has taken 2 years before they finally agreed to keeping chickens in our back garden! After being given 2 hens and a chicken ark from a family friend "to get us started" we got a little hooked!
After losing Bramble from Red Mite and an expensive vet's bill we decided to get some more. We found a local farm who sells point of lay chickens (Fenton poultry farm in Somerset, UK) So we got three more, our family now have 12 chickens after quite a few more visits!My fenton blue - Toffee layed light bluey green eggs and some double yolkers .
Things I learnt that might help you
- Chickens will step on their own eggs sometimes.
- You might sometimes get a rubbery, squishey shelled egg - you can still eat these.
- Thin grass plants in the hens pen will get destroyed very quickly.
- Foodwise they eat mostly anthing acept onions and meat(especially not chicken)
- Hens cooked rice - even curry rice love
- Stong tasting foods can tint the eggs, so not good unless you want garlic cakes
- Clip one side of your chickens wings so that can't fly away.