Doghouse Coop

By tazcat70 · Jan 11, 2012 · Updated Jul 30, 2012 ·
Tags:
Rating:
2.5/5,
  1. tazcat70
    I was given a old rabbit hutch that had the legs removed and was being advertised as a dog house. It was missing a lot of pieces. Here is what I have done.
    This is what I started with, minus the cat.
    IMG_5493.jpg IMG_5495.jpg
    The first thing I did was get rid of the rotten boards.
    IMG_5497.jpg
    I found a piece of wood that my husband saved from someone's remodeling job. It came with the linoleum on it.
    IMG_5501.jpg
    Then I close up the open spaces. One I turned into the pop out door.
    IMG_5502.jpg
    IMG_5505.jpg
    Here is the finished temporary coop and run. I used a dog crate as their run, I put plastic poultry fencing around it and bungee corded it to the coop.
    IMG_5518.jpg
    About 2-3 weeks later I started to build their main run. My husband took pity on me and did the main structure and put the hardware clothe around three sides of it.
    I then put the plastic poultry netting over the entire run. I built the door and put hardware wire on the inside and the plastic poultry netting on the outside. Maybe a little over kill but it also help to protect us from sharp metal edges. I then hung the door. This part was easier than I thought it would be.
    Underneath the door you can see a white rope. This is to move the run to different locations.
    IMG_5664.jpg
    I raised the coop up by 2+ feet for added protection. The chickies are doing a test run before it is completely finished.
    IMG_5663.jpg
    I had planned on moving the pop out door to a different location on the coop, but while I was doing other building things my husband came out and helped me by making it a sliding door. It is much easier to use.
    IMG_5665.jpg
    Here is the completed project. I created the ramp. Since it is winter I am worried about their comfort and so I put a few bales of hay around the northwest corner of the run. This gives them a little wind break. Plus I try to keep fresh hay on the ground in that corner so that they are up a little and have a dryer spot to stand if they want.

    IMG_5715.jpg
    Since all of the lumber and the main house was free the only expenses I had was for the wire and the hardware. Total I spent about $45.00. Not too bad for my first coop.

    Share This Article

Recent User Reviews

  1. ronott1
    "Nice conversion"
    3/5, 3 out of 5, reviewed Jul 20, 2018
    Dog house conversion. Would work for 3 hens
  2. SavKel&RynKel
    ""
    2/5, 2 out of 5, reviewed Jul 4, 2018
    Would love an update!
  3. Cyprus
    "Spacious run but coop could use more space"
    3/5, 3 out of 5, reviewed Jun 29, 2018
    I like the size of your run but personally I would make your coop bigger. You should have at least 4sqft of space per bird inside the coop. I would also improve your ease of access to the coop. If you were to make it large enough to stand in I would add a door high enough that you don't have to bend over to enter.

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: