Describe 'Free Coop From Pallets' here I needed a new coop but was totally broke. I began dumpster diving and gathering good throw away pallets. I found out the hard way these pallets are oak and heavy. I made sure they were all the same size. Broken ones were kept aside to use the wood as fillers between the pallets that were too open to keep predators out and hens in. I also found two old trow away windows one had glass in it the other I screened and fastened over the pallets for extra protection. Hubby had no idea where I was going with this so I explained we will just play lego's. I purchased a few lag bolts to fasten the pallets together 3 per pallet. I cut a 12'x12"x2 boards on an angle to give the back some height. I gathered some plywood and used as a top for some water protection. I was lucky to score some plexi so half of the top angled is clear plexi. The rest of the top is just doubled chicken wire. I added an additional "room" for "angry hens lol". There are 2 separte doors. I decided to put a smaller pallet in the middle of the larger "room" thinking they might roost on top so far they just think it is a climbing toy. It has proven to be very secure. I actually have a pic from a hunting camera of a bobcat scoping the place out then leaving. The entire project cost with the lag bolts and price of board 12' boards about $14.00. One week of gathering material and a total of 6 hours to build. My new coop is 12'x12'x5.5'. When the weather turns warm I will stain it red.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!