Describe 'John Deere Chicken Tractor' here
I built the John Deere Chicken tractor from mostly used materials.
The tires I got from a farm co-op tire dealership, with out rims. (free)
I had to make a frame in side the tires and then cut out large wooden disk to cover them.
next, I took some measurements from some other farm tractors, to get the basic idea of size.
I spaced the the wheels on the axles. The axles where made with 1 1/2 pipe.
I made the frame from 2X6 PT X 10 foot long. The frame is 6 inches wide X 10 foot long.
I really did not have plan in place. I have built many scale models before, never full scale.
The wood came from crates I took apart, mostly 5/8 plywood.
I made the engine compartment/ windshield and then the cab. and filled the middle in with doors.
I round the corners of the engine compartment and roof so it did not look to boxy.
Problems that I had to overcome: securing the cab to the frame. I had to much movement between
the cab and the frame. I used conduit pipe and made several supports. They looked like they belonged there. getting the door to work correctly took some time a few beers. I also had to rebrace the axles to the frame.
I painted it John Deere Green and yellow. I should of bought a gallon of both green and yellow
at the start, in stead of one qt at a time.
The windshield was made from a window that was for sale on the side of the road. I think it was $5.00
I added trim and other detail such; as rear view mirrors. headlights, smoke stack and front grill, fenders, doors.The tractor can be moved and it does roll on its axles, but has limitations.
I have post some pictures at my sign on avatar "PUDRY"
total cost of this build $350.00