Our Hen House Lovinmychickiess Chicken Coop

By LovinMyChickies · Jan 11, 2012 · ·
  1. LovinMyChickies
    Our Hen House
    est. 2008

    Here's the coop Hubby and I built on the fly. No real plans, just some great advice from my Dad (a real carpenter, although too ill to physically help us). We did'nt do too bad for "novice" builders. I think I smashed every finger with the hammer at least once though. Sorry, no "in progress" photos, just the finished product. Here's a few facts about our coop: size: 8' x 8' with an 8' ceiling. The approximate run size: 14' x 21'. I wish we had found the BYC site prior to construction, we could've used it.
    The finished coop!
    The chickies entrance. (I made the ramp myself, and I am very proud of it.)

    Here's the run. We did add avery netting to the top after these photos were taken.
    Another view of the run.
    The roosting area.
    We used Manzanita branches for the roosts. (We have tons of it on our property.)

    The nesting boxes. Made from scrap lumber.
    Last, and certainly not least, the babies! Enjoying their new home!

    Share This Article

Recent User Reviews

  1. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife
    "Our Hen House Lovinmychickiess Chicken Coop"
    3/5, 3 out of 5, reviewed Jul 9, 2018
    Cute coop for novice builders. Wish you had more step by step details for the coop. I'm sure your girls are enjoying. Thanks for sharing.
  2. Hope Hughes
    "Love the room & roost!"
    4/5, 4 out of 5, reviewed Jul 3, 2018
    This is a very roomy coop/run! The roost are awesome love the curvyness to it! Awesome job on your coop!
  3. BlackHackle
    "Well Built and Designed"
    5/5, 5 out of 5, reviewed Jun 29, 2018
    This coop is a must have for not only those looking for eggs, but also for breeding. It is well laid out and contains all the must-haves of chicken housing. Thumbs up!


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. offgridhermit
    Very nice job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: