PIM

  1. Eggsoteric
    We began this project with the "bones" of an old 8'x16' produce wagon we purchased off Craigslist. What, under normal driving conditions, would be a 45-minute drive, took my husband 4-1/2 hours to bring the wagon home:

    [​IMG]

    After much thought as to how we were going to turn this into a mobile coop, we decided to frame out 2 coops on either end with the middle section for people access, storage, etc. And so, the framing began:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Next up, the siding and trim. We decided to go with T1-11 as siding:

    [​IMG]
    Chicken pop door side:

    [​IMG]
    People access side with clean out hatches for each coop:

    [​IMG]

    Primed (lots and lots of primer):

    [​IMG]
    More primer, people door painted and hung, new shingles on roof, and more trim added (which, of course, meant more priming needed):

    [​IMG]

    Chicken pop doors cut out and Chicken Guard auto openers installed. Supervisor "Chops" is, as always, less than amused:

    [​IMG]

    Now the "real" fun began. After a few back and forths on color, I finally chose a greenish/gray for the body and stuck with red accents. The red end panels slid back and forth (back for the cooler months and forward for the warmer months to ensure optimal ventilation):

    [​IMG]
    For window hardware, I used heavy duty storm window hangers and regular window locks. I can remove and store the windows during the warmer months. During the cooler months, the tractor will be parked alongside the birds winter runs which have electric run to them.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Added a few personal touches on either end - barn quilts! Now, if you knew me, you'd know I'm no artsy person, however, I must admit that with frog tape, even I can "play" the part. :):

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Couldn't resist the rooster door knocker:

    [​IMG]

    The outdoor nesting boxes got a makeover with paint, Black Jack and lined with artificial turf:

    [​IMG]

    Flopsy seems to approve:
    [​IMG]

    It was then time to work on the inside. I used Black Jack to cover the floor of the coop and then framed out each coop. I used 1/2" hardware wire to cover any openings; the interior door to each coop was built outside; covered in hardware wire and then put in place. Each door has 4 removable nesting boxes (rubbermaid stackable bins) that have flip lids that are accessible on the one side for easy egg retrieval. Nesting boxes view from inside one of the coops:

    [​IMG]

    View from people/storage area. I added pieces of 2"x4" to the flip part of the lids as added weight so the birds could not escape into the storage area:

    [​IMG]

    Interior waterer:

    [​IMG]

    Also added a waterer to the exterior. This waterer sits on a board that I bolted to the hitch and is held in place with a bungee cord:

    [​IMG]

    I can't take any credit for the interior feed bins; hubby designed and installed using duct work:

    [​IMG]

    Love, love, love my poop hammock that I currently have in one of my stationary coops (easy to empty and clean) so I decided to stick with the hammock, however, these particular hammocks aren't working out well (material is too flimsy and poles not sturdy enough) so, one of my to dos is to replace the current hammocks with tarps zip tied to metal pipes:

    [​IMG]

    Interior touches. Deer antlers above each coop door. :). I'll be adding a few more, perhaps more "feminine" touches inside:

    [​IMG]

    Sign added:

    [​IMG]

    I wanted to be ensure everything was portable so I made sure I could hang the ladders on the side for transportation. The ladders, when in use, have two bolts run thru the end of the ramp closest to the chicken door that sit inside eye bolts to keep them from moving:

    [​IMG]

    One of the last things we put in are lights both interior and exterior (the lights are run off a 12V battery):

    [​IMG]

    Tractor in the pasture (briefly). Unfortunately, the net fencing I had on hand needed too many repairs and would not hold the birds, nor keep any possible predators out so, because Fall/Winter is approaching, and, because we haven't yet had the chance to redo the winter pens, the birds are back in their stationary coops until Spring. Gives me some time to tweak a few things. :)

    [​IMG]

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. bahamabanty
    wow i want one as my office
  2. featherweightmn
    Very creative! The barn quilts on there are really cool too!
  3. EastTXChickens
    That's an amazing conversion, super nice! P Allen Smith, who's into heritage birds in Arkansas bought old cotton hauling wagons some years ago and made them into giant chicken tractors. You outdid him by far.

    I hope you post an update next spring after you fix up the fenced area, I love your ideas.
  4. hitchyourwagon
    What a great way to repurpose the old wagon. Nice job on the detailing.
  5. A HappyHenLover
  6. islandgirl82
    I LOVE this! What a great find too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by