The Cluckers Fortress

By Heat, Jul 5, 2012 | | |
  1. Heat
    I told my hubby that I wanted chickens and they needed a coop. He found an old metal shed {abandoned, all he had to do was toss the trash out and get it home}, a bunch of milk crates, and some styrofoam insulation.

    Once the shed was home, set, and leveled we lined the bottom three feet with the stryofoam and covered it with some plywood we had laying around. The milk crates were zip tied together along the right wall, 2 rows (one on top of the each other) for nest boxes.
    *We still need to add a lip to bottom of the top row of boxes as well as a lip on the top before they begin laying eggs... We also need to finish insulating in the next few months before winter sets in.

    Two vents we cut out of the sides (one on each) and I screened them in.
    *One more vent will be going in the front door.

    One of the double doors was broken and the other was missing. So the broken one is permanently attached to the coop as part of the wall and hubby made a door to fit the gap. There are two roosts. One along the back wall, one along the side wall.
    *We need to raise the roosts since the Chickens have gotten a bit bigger than when they were put in there.

    The run is a work in progress. We are making the sides out of pallets and covering the outside of them with black screen. We will be running (arching) PVC conduit across the top and covering with chicken wire/hardware cloth to keep the neighbors dog and other possible predators out. It is currently 3 pallets long (about 9 feet) by 6 feet 8 inches across. We are planning on bringing it out about 24 feet and making a box out to one side for the pool (we have two Muscovy ducklings too)

    [​IMG]Nest boxes with happy chickens.
    [​IMG]Roosts (really need to raise them)
    [​IMG]Front entrance
    [​IMG]Left Run Wall
    [​IMG]Right Run wall
    [​IMG]The Cluckers Fortress

    [​IMG] The ducklings :)
    [​IMG]One of our Red Stars sunning herself
    [​IMG]And she was soon joined by others

    I will update as we progress with our fortress :)

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. Red Barn Farms
    Ya'll have done a great job so far! Enjoyed reading your page and looking at the images. I bet you have some happy young chickens there!
  2. laura877
    Looking good there. I would suggest that instead of the closet poles that you cut some branches if you got trees around that you can do it. If not use 2 x 4's for roost. If you are in a place that it gets cold, you want to have the poles wide enough that when the chickens are roosting, that their feet are spread wide enough that they bodies will totally cover their feet. I don't know if that makes sense to you. But with the closet poles, when they roost their bodies will leave their toes exposed to the cold.
  3. bruceha2000
    AACCCCKKKK - Arrow staples! Pull right out if you yank the wire. Hubby needs to cover the edge of the chicken wire with wood screwed in or toss in some poultry staples every few inches. :)
    Why so many nest boxes?? From what I read, 1 for every three or four hens is plenty. By my count, you have enough for over 40 hens. They might like a bit more floor space instead.
    "We need to raise the roosts since the Chickens have gotten a bit bigger than when they were put in there."
    And move them away from the wall - 12" so their chicken butts have room :) They also need to be higher than the nest boxes, you don't want them sleeping in the nest boxes.
    I put my round fence rail roosts in by drilling a hole in the plywood on the side of the stall and the face of a brace on the 'open end' - 2x4 butt end to the perpendicular wall (2" side up) screwed to the wall and a support block under it that is also screwed to the wall. There is a vertical leg in front that is the same height as the top of the brace so it is connected 4" side to 4" side. Since you are using closet poles, you would need to pin the pole on both sides of the brace and the plywood to keep it from falling out. It will serve as a tension/compression pole and keep the whole thing square. Doesn't have to, and shouldn't, be a big pin! If the hole is just barely larger than the diameter of the pole, a long cotter pin spread just enough it won't slide out (but you can take it out if you want to take it apart for cleaning or something) would work great. The front support (just forward or behind the pole) won't have and side pull so it wouldn't need to be braced. I can't tell from the pictures, but I wonder if there is enough space that you could remove the milk crates on the end of the "L" and have the 'open end' brace in the middle to support a pinned rail from each wall. That would be super strong.

    I don't mean to be all negative! It looks like you've done a lot of good stuff for not much money. Always a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by