1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The Old West Rooster Cogburn Red Lobster pallet coop

By Stumpy · Jun 10, 2013 · Updated Jun 18, 2013 · ·
  1. Stumpy
    I built this Old West style coop for a dear relative whose rooster is named Cogburn. He had previously given me a variety of lumber which was used in this and other projects. I hope this will encourage other women to try construction.


    All of the wall and roof framing in this coop was built with pallet wood and sided with wood discarded from a Red Lobster remodel. I happened upon three lawnmower pallets which contained lots of good 2X3’s. The 4X4’s were donated, as well as the wood used for the skids and ramp. The interior is paneled with what I call pool wall purchased from the thrift store. It is tough, but brittle, so screws had to be used instead of a nail gun for installation. The “siding” was interior wood, so I coated it with two coats of marine varnish.

    The first photo here shows the base framing using donated 2X4’s.


    Next is some plywood I scrounged from a burn pile. After attaching, I cleaned and sanded it a little bit.

    I had some 4.5 X 4.5 creosote posts which I used for the legs to stand on, cutting and shaping them into skids. It was necessary to chisel out sections on each one to make the hardware fit. Whew! I had to get help with this.


    I attached the pool wall “flooring” before attaching the wall framing. The legs were attached to the skids with post brackets and bolts. I had to have help drilling the holes. A great deal of work was involved in dismantling the lawnmower pallets, which were used for the framing and for the roof structure.

    Here are some of the roof pieces after staining with Lowe’s oops stain.

    Installing roof structure and siding:

    After hardware cloth, roofing, trim and cedar fascia board were installed. Old tin was used for the roof. Blue foam board insulation was installed under the tin to keep the coop cool.

    I bought an old window which I sanded and stained, then installed sideways for the front door.

    Making the shutters and faux windows:

    I wanted the back door opening to be large for accessibility and cleaning. I had a few scraps of treated plywood and more pallet boards.


    This is the door that I came up with, but it is quite heavy and a little warped and crooked.

    Finally, after installation, complete with wagon wheel vents and horseshoe handle. The stovepipe is the opening to the feeder.

    The front porch framing installed:
    The boards cut for the front porch support.

    After interior paneling installed – Ethel enjoying the dust bath.

    She tried to make a nest out of a Lowe’s bag in the corner. I think it’s a good sign when chickens try to move into a coop before it’s finished.


    The signs were made using the Abilene font, with deck boards and hung with old barbed wire.


    The sliding door was made from an old metal road sign:
    View of one end:

    View of the other end:

    Here is the dust bath, roost made with drift wood, and Cogburn checking out his new digs:
    The interior of the back door with Cogburn's namesake:

    The "stovepipe" feeder:


    Share This Article

    Deman likes this.

Recent User Reviews

  1. Phoebus
    "Very Cute and Functional, too!"
    5/5, 5 out of 5, reviewed Jul 6, 2018
    I love the old West look of this chicken coop. It looks like somebody's hideout! Photos of the build are interesting. The stove pipe feeder is very ingenious in keeping with the design theme and the covering on the perch area walls looks easy to clean. Chickens look like they would be safe from any predators while they're sleeping. Good job!


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. Stumpy
    Thanks for your kind words! It was hard work, but I had a lot of fun trying to make it look western, etc.
  2. Wisher1000
    DANG, Stumpy! I knew you were talented, but that is over the top! I thought your last build was impressive, this one blows me away! I believe you could be a pro!
  3. Stumpy
    Thanks so much, LuvOurChickies and Chickensmart!
  4. Chickensmart.com
    what a great looking coop! Love it!
  5. LuvOurChickies
    Maybe the coolest coop ever ! Love the theme, love John Wayne, love chickens. You could sell these !
  6. Stumpy
    Thank you so much, nono!
  7. nono
    I love this!! I love the style and creativity. The stove pipe feeder is such a great idea. My favorite parts...the front door, and the signs. :)
  8. naadarien
    Very creative!
  9. Stumpy
  10. danieljcbsn
  11. nannie
    too kool love it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: