This feeder improves on other PVC gravity feeder designs by solving these key problems:
- Mess and wasted feed: The enclosed feeder design and front spill guard eliminates mess and wasted feed
- Rain getting in the feeder opening: A rain hood keeps the grain dry
- Keeps pests’ away: Easily seal the feeder closed with a cap to keep rats and other pests away at night.
In the past I have found it frustrating and time consuming to try and follow other feeder designs with only a photo and some very rough detail to go from. To make this feeder super easy for others to make and use, I have put together a step by step DIY instruction manual.
** You can download the manual here (its Free) **
This manual covers:
- A list of equipment and materials needed
- Exact dimensions – Getting the dimensions right are important to prevent mess and to stop chickens flicking out the feed with their beaks
- Painting PVC
- DIY scoop which makes it easy to fill the feeder
- How to set up the feeder and where to place it
- How to introduce the feeder to the chickens
- Cleaning and maintenance
I hope you find it useful – happy chicken keeping!
Patch to Table
Looking for more Chicken Feeder ideas? Check out my other BYC article where I compare 8 feeder designs
More pics >>
Ultimate PVC Gravity Feeder
Share This Article
About AuthorDiannaDi likes this.
Recent User Reviews
"Awesome Feeder! Disappointing Directions"
- 1/5, 1 out of 5, reviewed Jul 21, 2018
That looks like the coolest feeder I've seen! I love the contraption at the opening to keep it rainproof. Did you buy it or modify other materials? This article doesn't actually include any useful information. Sorry for the low rating, but I come to backyardchickens.com because I trust it and I don't want to have to visit another site and give my email just to see if I may or may not be able to build this thing.
I think including a link to where I can buy certain materials would be fine, I just don't want to leave this site for the directions. Maybe this "article" should be moved to member pages.