Swollen eye

LittleChicken23

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
One of my 2 year old hens' eyes is swollen mostly shut. It is a little bubbly, but as far as I can tell she has no other symptoms, no coughing, no sneezing, no nasal discharge.

I haven't added any new birds in a while, and those that have been added were born here so they never came in contact with anything.

Her eye was slightly swollen yesterday as well, but today it got worse. How do I tell if this is just an injury of some sort of something more serious? What should I do?
Thanks

Last week my RIR hen had the same issue. Her eye was swollen but she was acting otherwise healthy and normal. I looked closer by gently opening the eye up wider and she had a strange white abcess under the most swollen part of her upper eye lid. I ended up taking her to a vet since her eye was so swollen she couldnt see well, which is unsafe for pred reasons and makes it harder for her to forage. The vet confirmed it was an eye infection and prescribed an eye gel and now she is as good as new.

But here is a pic of the white abcess

Last edited:
Hmm, my hen's eye is more swollen than that D: I think that there might be dirt or something in there, based on closer inspection.

I put neosporin on her eye. Should I flush the eye out, and with what?

I def thinks its an eye infection. My hens eye ended up getting more swollen than the pic but I was just showing you the white stuff. But the vet said she had an eye infection then her body made an absess develop over it to try and kill the infection so maybe thats what your hens eye is doing. I dont know what to do for it or put in it other than what the vet gave me. All i know is this medicine fixed her right up

Back
Top Bottom