Fustrated with Chickens illness (CRD?) *Pics included*

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
I have a group of maybe 2 month old chickens most are pullets and a couple of roo's. I at first purchased a polish pullet that had a sneezey, runny nose. I didn't notice it untill I had brought her home. I also stupidly bought more chickens from this man that also have runny noses. No sneezing from the others.
There were some others I bought that did not have this issue and they now have it. They don't act any different, however, they do seem to have reoccuring runny creamy brown poos. There are some that have normal poo in there as well.
I don't really have any Idea what this would be other than CRD. I have read that it is incurable and they will always be a carrier and infect others. Can someone tell me if this is true? I spent maybe 60 just buying these guys and I'll be pretty bummed an mad if I can't cure it.
I have some medicines like Vet Rx, Sulmet, Terracymin, and electrolites. Will any of these be effective? If I need to buy some other med. please tell me where I can get it.
If you need any more info I can answer those..I'd prefere not to hear cull them unless thats the only thing that can be done. I Love these guys so I will do anything I can.
Here's some pics that may or may not help:

Notice crustyness on beak:
EEroo.jpg

Notice grass and dirt stuck in holes ( I cleaned it out after pic.):
LB.jpg

And the polish: theres crust in her hair and under her wings. Shes the sneezy one.:
polish.jpg

Well, I don't have experience with CRD, but creamy brown poos every once in a while is normal. It's hard to tell in the pics if there's anything odd... but when I had a polish, she ALWAYS had dirt and junk stuck in her crest, and the crusty beak in pic 1 doesn't look like anything to be a concern over.

have some medicines like Vet Rx, Sulmet, Terracymin, and electrolites. Will any of these be effective? If I need to buy some other med. please tell me where I can get it.

Tylan or Gallimycin would be the antibiotics to use. VetRx may help them breathe, but it wont cure anything, really. Terramycin is useless. If this is CRD or Infectious Bronchitis, and I dont know that it is, they are carriers, which means that even if you use an antibiotic and they seem to recover, they will have the germ lurking in their bodies for the rest of their lives, probably. I know you dont want to hear this, but my solution would be to cull all of the ones showing symptoms. Harsh as it sounds, sometimes that's all you can do. Thank goodness, so far, I've never had respiratory illness here and hope that I never will, though even wild birds can infect chickens, even if you never bring in outside birds. I hope gumpsgirl and others who have dealt with similar issues will comment here.​

Last edited:
Speckledhen is absolutely correct. You need some Tylan to combat CRD if you are up to the long hard road for rehabing your sick birds. You need to seperate them from the rest of your flock though!

There are about 16 in that pen and a few show runny noses...I know the pics aren't that helpful...it''s goo-ier in real life. The area they're in, is it infected or messed up where it carries the germ?
The ones that arn't showing it are fine then? They won't be carriers or anything?
Also about the Tylan ....it's Tylan 50 right? an injectable? If so whats the doesage (cc)?
Is it at all possible for them to have allergies, or if the place they came from was really dusty(it was) that they would be congested?
If I found a vet would they be able to find out?
Sorry lots of questions.

Most vets know nothing about chickens, unfortunately.
You will need to disinfect the area they were in-are they separate from your other birds or together? I dont know for sure who will be a carrier. I've heard that if they dont show symptoms, they may not be, but honestly, I wouldn't put much faith in that.
Dust and heavy ammonia concentrations can make them sneeze and have breathing issues. All you can do is observe them and see if improved conditions help them improve. That is before you dose them with meds. Meds will mask symptoms. You are pretty much flying blind here if you just medicate them and they seem to recover. You'll never know what they had for sure or if they are carriers of something. Any birds you bring them in contact with could come down with whatever they had. I think the Tylan 50 dosage is 1/2 cc, but not entirely sure of that.

All chickens carry CRD period. Either they can deal with it or not. Birds that can't combat symptoms on their own are weaker fowl overall. You can treat for this and get the symptoms to go away, and your chickens will be fine, but symptoms can show up again under stressful conditions. I know even chickens that have had severe CRD, and show symptoms all the time, live just fine that way. BTW, CRD almost always comes with the rattle in the chest, so look for that if you suspect you have CRD. You can read more about CRD HERE . Good luck!

Quote:
I just called a vet and they are going to call me back..I wondered about them knowing anything...
They have been in that outside pen for a week now. I have not medicated them with anything because I did want to see if improved enviornment would help. This is why I'm fustrated though...I can't tell what it is or what to do.
sad.png
The only thing I could do is to take out the ones that were originally sick when I bought them. I feel so stupid for doing that...

I just went through this with my flock. I ended up getting a necropsy done on one bird and found that they had infectious coryza, cocci, and avian leukosis. If I were you, I'd contact your state vet and ask some questions--describe their symptoms and see what they think. If any of your chickens die or are near the point of no return (or I guess if you are willing to sacrifice one) find out where you can get a necropsy performed. That way you will know exactly what the illness is and how to treat it rather than guessing. The necropsy here (in KY) was only $10.

I have used Tylan 50 on my birds. I've heard different dosages. For tiny birds use 1/4cc, for medium sized use 1/2cc and someone told me if you have a larger bird to use 1cc. Just be sure to avoid the crop and the heart when injecting in the breast. If you inject them at night when the crop is full you can easily avoid it! When I was trying to treat my birds I was told (by an avian doctor) that Sulmet also treats some respiratory illnesses, so if the Tylan doesn't help I would try that next--but not at the same time.

Just saw your last post--If you contacted a regular vet I would ask them if they can take a stool sample (to check for cocci and worms) and also take a nasal swab. They might also be able to test their blood for viruses. Those are all the things they did during the necropsy, but if your vet treats birds I don't see why a live animal couldn't be tested.

I'm sorry your birds are all sick.
sad.png
I too learned the hard way to not buy birds from an unknown farm, and to always isolate for at least 30 days if not longer.

Back
Top Bottom