HELP SICK CHICK...

tanksgirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Tennessee
Found a baby chick in backyard yesterday and saved it from my dogs. I brought it in to show my kids who wanted to keep it. I put it in a cage with wood shavings and woke up to a sick chick this morning. It's flopped on it's side and won't stand up. Found this site today and seen cedar was bad for chicks so I dumped the shavings out (may have cedar mixed, I don't know) and put down paper towels. I also have started a little sugar water to see if that helps. What can I do for this chick? I saved it from the dogs and may have hurt it myself due to ignorance of how to care for it.

please help...Tanya

What are you feeding it? Make sure it's getting plenty of water and good job on adding in a bit of sugar for a nice pickmeup.

It's probably stressed and who knows how long it had been on it's own without food/water. How big is it?

I'm sure someone who knows better than I will be along soon with some more information. Take a deep breath and don't beat yourself up...that chick is probably most definitely faring better with you than it would had it still been outside by itself.

Not sure exactly what to feed it... it's fully feathered about a full hand in size. It still peeps and thrashes around, when I hold it, it throws it's head back and to the side. It tries to stand when i upright it. I've taken it outside to warm it up it may have gotten to cool in my house for it over night.

trying my best... Tanya

Since its fully feathered and about hand size, I'm guessing it about 6 weeks old. My chicks hatched in late May and their about that size. If you don't have any chick starter, crush some dog food for it. Its probably weak and tired. I doubt it being with ceder shavings for a few hours hurt it. It just needs some food, water, rest.

Sounds to me like the baby might be cold. Do you have a lamp you can position over it? And a thermometer? It should still be at about 80 degrees for the wee one. Also, it will need chick starter. You can get it at a local feed store. Untill then....hard boil an egg...and give the yolk to it, crumbled up. The sugar water is a good idea. You said you have kids. Do you have liquid baby vitamins? Maybe a drop or two on the beak would be a good idea. Definately it needs to be warm. Maybe put a small stuffed animal in there with it to cuddle with. I sure hope this baby makes it. Do you have any idea where it came from? Nabors have chickens??

I'll work on getting some chick starter. Thanks so much for the "in the mean time" suggestions! I also need to get a heat lamp I guess. It's a sunny 90 outside during the day but does cool down at night. I'll be sure not to bring it back in the AC.

thanks... Tanya

You could also get some vitamin & electrolyte mix for it to perk it up - or, if you can't find that - a little Gatorade will do. If it was out by itself without food or water it may have become dehydrated. The vitamin & electrolyte mix can also be found at the feed store.

Jessica

make sure it is warm enough and rehydrated before you feed it dry food...you can cook some human oatmeal in water (I pop mine into the microwave and add to feed to make it moist and clumpy...also offer free choice live culture yogurt

My baby has it's feet back under it now, but will only open one eye. I've been helping it get water every hour and will try something to eat shortly. Can I give it baby ceral until I get some feed?

getting better...Tanya

Back
Top Bottom