Incubating Serama Eggs *(Pics Of My New Babies Pg.7!)*

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Just wanted to check with the resident BYC egg-spurts!

We have 15 itty-bitty serama eggs we want to hatch. The incubator is holding steady at 101.5 to 102 at the top of these small eggs.

From what we have read, I need to have a slightly higher temp for them, and I increased it slightly to these numbers, is this sufficient?

The humidity, even with the addition of a 4 inch plastic lid full of water, is only at 40-45 %. Shall I add a wet paper towel and change it out every day? I don't like leaving a wet rag in there as I feel it may grow germs that will be harmful to the eggs.

Our incubator is a LG still air.

We incubated 14 out of 29 chicken eggs who hatched this past weekend.

We lost several who died after pipping/zipping and I am sure it is because we opened the incubator too much and screwed up the humidity. Lesson learned. (SOME people just won't learn from being told and have to experience it first hand.....that'd be me.) :eek:(

Anyone who has hatched out serama's or other small eggs and can give me advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Deb

Last edited:
pop.gif

Well, it's nice to see others wanting the same info as me, let's hope someone will come along to help us out!
tongue.png

I have a second question regarding my humidity level, it is staying right about 42% and that is with a lid of water and a wet papertowel. I do have a piece of non-skid, perforated, rubber shelf liner under the eggs.

This is my first time to use this and I thought I'd try it because of problems I had with the eggs rolling too much when I'd turn them. (By hand) (Rolling more than I wanted them to)

Again, thanks in advance!

Deb

Have you double checked your hygrometer? Seems like you should have higher humidity than that given your setup...

Did you read the article about dry incubation?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

ETA: I've been trying to get my humidity down into the 40's because of the warnings that higher humidity can cause lots of problems. Mine is staying down now, and I'm going to leave things alone unless it dips much below 35% or so.

Last edited:
Beardedchick,

Thank you so much for the link! I can't wait to have my husband read it. So much good information! He keeps telling me that we are "going to school" as far as learning how to incubate eggs, and not to get discouraged. He will really appreciate this information!

Thanks again!

Deb

It is my understanding though that serama eggs should not be dry incubated. I have twelve in the bator right now myself plus a serama X cochin egg that is pipped.

Serama eggs are only supposed to take 19 days on average to hatch also.

I hope a really knowledgable person logs on and answers your question.

We just put ours in late last night. So your babies will arrive first!

This is only our second setting of chicken eggs, we've had a lot of success with ducklings. We've got 15 Langshan's in the brooder that hatched last weekend.

We fell in love with the Serama's and decided to try them next. Ours are also shipped eggs, another strike against us as far as successful hatching, but you never know until you try!

Are yours your own eggs?

Happy hatching! Let me know how you do!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom