First Egg!! So which lady laid it? *with PICS of course*

mlheran

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Sonoma County, California
After having a terrible day yesterday I was pleasantly surprised this morning during my bird routine -I found the first ever egg!
ep.gif

I thought it was too early for anyone to start laying, but the lovely proof fits in the palm of my hand! The oldest three of my six standards are roughly 18 weeks, and only the RIR and one of the Cuckoo Marans has really red wattles and combs. Any guesses as to who laid it? The egg seems kind of dark to me, so maybe the Marans?
hu.gif

Love that color!
070907A.jpg

It doesn't even register as "small!"
lol.png

070907B.jpg

So who do you think it was, Nutmeg or Cuckoo One?
070907C.jpg

Needless to say, finding that first egg has made me so happy! It's the start of a new adventure and I can't wait for each and every egg!

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone -I definitely can't wait for those daily eggs to start coming!

As for my egg scale, my great grandparents had one that I used to play with as a kid (the chickens were long gone by the time I came around) but it disappeared somewhere over the years. I got to thinking about it when I got my chickens this spring, and found the exact model and color on eBay (of course
roll.png
)! Just search "egg scale" and plenty of interesting searches come up. I was able to get it for less than $10, but some of the vintage ones in good condition go for a lot of money. There are new ones there too (but I think the old ones are neat!). Good luck and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom