Purple comb - Help!

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
The tips of our one-year old BR's comb are purple and the purple was extending halfway down towards the center of the comb. DBF held him for 10-15 minutes and the red came back; just purple at the very tips now. Assuming it's from the cold - it's about 25 here now, but the chickens are in the coop in the garage and not exposed to the elements.

Does this mean he is sick or is this normal? The hens' combs all look fine. Thank you -

That's what we did and all is well. What we can't understand is why it was purple when it was 30 degrees, but it is fine and red at 23 degrees...weird.

The roo I used to have would do that even in mid-Summer. If he was mad or stressed or sometimes just for no reason at all. I have heard of others doing it too. Mine was healthy and never sick.....just mean!!! Whatever it was never seemed to cause him any problems.

My old roosters do fine through the winter, our young roosters (under a year-old) usually get frost bite on the tips of their combs. We butcher the young roosters. This is my observation.

Hi I'm new to BYC - started keeping chickens this year. Have a lovely blue leghorn who has successfully provided us with four chicks a few weeks ago. Last week he was attacked by two of our dogs - amazingly, he survived and was back crowing again after a few days. This morning though he is making a strange noise (not rasping - more like one of the hens) and his comb and wattle is very pale. He usually runs off if you approach him, but he didn't and he let me touch him, but then shook himself off and squawked as if something was hurting him. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom