Barred Rocks - 7 or 8 weeks - pullets or cockerels?

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Hi,
I'm pretty sure that at least 1 of my barred rocks is a pullet, but the other one is kind of iffy. They aren't too far apart in their coloring/characteristics, but the chick in doubt has less of a dark wash on her legs, a little bit more white feathering, and a slightly more developed comb.

Spice is on the right and you can see her legs are a little darker. Sugar is the one on the left.
19548_chickens_007.jpg

Spice is on the right in this picture also.
19548_chickens_003.jpg

This is a close up of Spice's comb.
19548_chickens_0032.jpg

A close-up of Sugar's comb:
19548_chickens_0031.jpg

Do they both look like hens or does Sugar look as if she could be a rooster when she grows up?

You have two pullets there. The cockerels comb and wattles developed much faster on mine. I think these pics are when they were about six or seven weeks and you can see a distinct difference in the combs. Also the difference in feathering is more noticeable than in your two birds. Not always (ask speckledhen about her boyish looking girl), but I think both of yours are girls.

here is one of my pullets

BRhen1.jpg

Then the cockerel

BRroo1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I didn't realize there was such a color & comb difference at a such an early age - comparing mine to yours - I agree that they mine are both hens. That's good news to me! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom