prolapsed vent UPDATE** graphic picture warning**

whatsup chickenbutt

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
OK, I just lost another hen last week, to what, I dont know. Lice I guess. Who knows
Now tonight, I went out to dust them all while they are roosting, and I got it right up good on my BRs vent area when I noticed a round cherry looking thing coming out of her vent. Well thats gotta feel good, lice powder all over that skin. So, Im supposing a prolapsed vent? I cant do anything tonight, its going to have to wait til tomorrow, but what can i do? Will she live? Ive looked up all the posts on here, and it seems a few have lived, but most dont. Im going to soak her tomorrow, which Im not terribly thrilled about because of my recent encounter with lice, and then I will try puting prep H on her and seperating her.
AAaaarrggghhh
Im beginning to get discouraged. Im not a quitter, its just really frustrating. Ive had my chickens for about 4 months now. So far they have had lice, and one died, probably from getting anemic or whatever, and now this.
It totally over shadows the wonderful FIRST green egg I got today from one of my EEs.

Last edited:
Whatever you do don't give up. Things will get better. I can't give advice because I am new at this too. But I know someone will see your post and have very good advice. Just hang in there and you will make it.

I'm sorry for your bad luck. It sure sounds like a prolapse. Keep it moist with vaseline until you can have her seen by a vet. If that's not possible, see if you can push it back inside but if she's straining it probably isn't going to stay
sad.png

Good luck!

thanks. There's no vet, so I will have to handle this myself. Poor thing. I dont really know what to do.
the really strange thing is this is coming on the heels of somebody laying a really huge egg. Her? Could that be what caused this?
The last time I got a Huge egg, it was my white leghorn, then the next three were kind of bloody, then she stopped laying alltogether, then died about a month later. I wonder if there is any correlation.
Anyway, I dont want to sound like Im not dedicated. But, I really didnt envision this. I wasnt ready for these kinds of things. I dont want to push her vent back up inside of her, and I dont want to touch her with bugs on her (just found out my birds had lice) I sound terrible I know, and I will do it. I just want you all to know that I dont want too. I would have at least liked a little more time to adjust to being a chicken farmer before having to undertake such tasks. Oh well, thats the way it goes I guess. Just venting (no pun intended..)

I had one with a prolapse once. She had pushed the egg all the way out and it was completely incased in a membrane of skin. Fortunately it was still moist, I read that if it had dried out, the skin would have died and gangrene would set in, killing her. I kept it moist with Vaseline while I looked up what to do. I could see her vent opening pushed to the side, so I inserted my finger in the vent (ewwww) and pushed the prolapse and egg back in and hoped that I could follow her oviduct to where the egg was and kind've guide it out the proper opening. No luck with that.

Phase #2 - operation. I used an exacto knife - cleaned and sterilized with alcohol to cut a tiny opening over the egg, careful to avoid any blood vessels. Squeezed the egg out and sewed her up with a needle and thread, also sterlized with alcohol. She recovered well. I put her in isolation for a few days to make sure she wasn't bleeding or wouldn't become infected. She did fine, so I turned her loose.

I read prolapse is often caused by a calcium deficiency and I had not put oyster shell out for my girls. I put some out right away. She has not had any more prolapses, thank goodness, because if she did, I would have to put her down. I keep checking her for internal laying, but haven't seen any signs of it. She's in a pen with a lot of other girls, so I don't know if she's laying or not. I'm just hoping for the best.

All I can share is what worked for me, I'm not an expert. I hope your girl gets better.

What'sup-I just want to say I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with chickens. You have dealt with a lot more in 4 months than I have in the year and a half I've been in chickens. Praying for brighter days ahead for you, and for your hen.
hugs.gif

Unfortunately, whatsup, life with critters is full of hair, feathers, poop, bugs, worms, blood, and the occasional 'what the h*** is THAT?!!' Some folks get off easy, I guess, but I have not been one of them. They somehow seem to end up sick or injured at the worst times: in the middle of a storm, when I am walking out the door for work, when I am asleep in bed, etc, etc.

The thing is, when we keep domestic animals, they need us. The first vent prolapse is the crummiest; it does get easier, although hopefully it won't happen often. Keep some latex or nitrile exam gloves (from drugstore) on hand, a box of Prep H, and some Vaseline for these emergencies so it's not so stressful. Keep some clean rags, too (I keep bags of the washcloth-sized ones). You can gently place her on a perch or on your lap and check the condition of her vent. If the prolapse is indeed protruding, check to see there are no lacerations, and with your gloved hand you may gently press the tissue back inside. Gently apply some prep H around the outside edge of the vent, and voila! Check her again tomorrow, as you may have to repeat for a day or two. If she is being pecked, or if the prolapse is very bad, you may wish to separate, but my girl did fine staying with the others. It's actually less stressful to move them sometimes.

Hang in there! Chickens are fun. Things do happen, though, as with all animals (maybe more so) ~ but all in all, keeping domestic critters is one of the most rewarding experiences I can think of . . . bugs and all.

smile.png

Well, thanks for the encouragement. My biggest concern is that Im going to do the wrong thing. So, are we in agreement that if there is something skinlike and red like a cherry hanging out of her vent, its most likely a prolapse, and needs to go back in? Is there possibly anything else that it could be that shouldnt be shoved back in?
I should get a latex glove, put vaseline, or prep H (which? one for moistness, one to shrink tissue) and push it back in there. Should I let the prep h sit on it a while to start shrinking, and then push it back in there?
should i soak her in a bath for a while first?
I should be prepared to push it back in several times because it might fall out. And I should seperate her and keep it dark to stop the laying cycle?
Is there any reason why she would not eat and drink during the next few days? So if its only a prolapsed vent, she should go on business as usual, except for this? So far she is acting fine.
One thing to note, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that all of her feathers were gone around her backside. I assumed she was moulting. She acts totally fine. It wasnt until last night when she was sitting just so on the perch that I noticed the thing coming out of her. Maybe its been like that? And what does anyone think about the large egg? Could that be what caused it?
Thanks everyone

ETA: Jenski, I was thinking I would keep her with the other chickens also. She seems to be the dominant hen, and thus far hasnt been even so much as looked at by the others. Maybe I will just keep a close eye on her for a while.

Last edited:
I gave her a warm bath, cleaned her rear area and have tried several times to push her stuff back in. There seems to be no muscle tone at all. It wont stay in. She acts normal, Ive got her seperated and she just walks around like 'what the heck am i doing in the sick bed?' Its really gross. It is hanging out just like a cherry, with some little opening type thing along with it. I felt all around and I do not feel anything like an egg. I dont know what to do for her. It just doesnt seem like pushing it in there does any good. It doesnt stay for even a second. It about the size of your thumb and forefinger making the 'ok' sign. I will post pictures soon.

whatsup, here's a rather hilarious (but informative) blog entry showing an old farm fix for a prolapse. While I don't use honey for this, some folks do. The most important thing here is the photos showing what the prolapse looks like ~ of course, adding the humor helps a bit, too.

http://aprildphillips.blogspot.com/2008/07/just-call-me-chicken-doctor.html

I would fix the prolapse first, then gently dab the PH around the edges. I didn't want to get it to far internally. Others might have other preferences.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom