Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, I'll admit it. I've never incubated eggs before.
roll.png
We've always got new chicks from the store or from friends. The closest we got to incubating was when we slipped fertile eggs uner our broody hen.

About a year ago we got a Hova-Bator Circulated Air model with an auto egg turner (I think we got it for like $20).

Today I discovered that a wonderful gentleman that belonged to this forum years before I had chickens, lives just a few streets over and has about 50 hens. He gave me a clutch of 7 (hopefully) fertile eggs to hatch out.

Here are the eggs:
2_gary-eggs.jpg

All the eggs have a purebred Ameraucana rooster as a father.

From top left:
Brown - no idea
Two white: Best guess: maybe silver laced polish, Black Spanish, or Blue Andalusian.
Two big green/brown: 1/4 Maran 3/4 Ameraucana
Two light blue: 100% Ameraucana

Here is the Hova-Bator:
2_hova-bator.jpg

Now, my questions:

1) I have 3 thermometers in there right now. The "metal" mercury filled one that came with it says the temp is 99.5. The digital one and the house one that is mercury, both say around 96. Who do I believe?

2) The auto turner: It seems to turn VERY slowly, but constantly... does this sound right?

3) The motor on the turner is VERY warm (hot) to the touch. Is that right?

4) I've got lots of room in this thing. Will I have better success if I space them out or should I just group them all together?

Any other last words before I pop in some eggs?

big_smile.png

I don't know which to trust so I'm no help there. Yes the motor should be hot and you can "almost" see the turner turn. Keep the eggs together and bunched in the center for better circulation around the edges. Oh yeah and keep your fingers crossed until you get pips.
lol.png

At the top you will find a search icon...click there and put in a key word... There is lots of great info here....good luck.....welcome to BYC
Tink

Sorry......lol ......couldn't resist!!!! ha ha ha

Very exciting! Good luck. If you have 3, and 2 have the same temp I would probably lean towards those. I see you have them scattered around, even with a fan the temp can vary a little, so that could be messing with your reading.

Quote:
1. I would tend to believe the digital and house one, so you need to get the temps up to 99.8

2. The turner turns very slowly so your ok on that.

3. I've never touched the motor on the turner but I would think it would be hot from running and being enclosed in the bator.

4. If they were mine I would put them or bunch them towards the middle racks in the turner since you don't have that many.

Patience and no opening the bator unless its to add water!!

You did get a Hygrometer right?

My thoughts and opinions...
big_smile.png

#1 The ones that come with bators are notoriously bad. Since the other two read the same, I would go with them. But, because I am paranoid (true confessions here
big_smile.png
), I would get another mercury thermometer and see what it says.

#2 Yes, the auto turner is supposed to turn slowly and continuously.

#3 I can't help you there.

#4 Yes, you have lot of room in there. TOO much room. You would have much better success with a larger number of eggs. Go back down the street, get more and fill 'er up. Go in cover of darkness if you have to.
lol.png

Quote:
Hello Chicken King!
As for temps... I tend to average the temp. I also use at least 2, and prefer the digital to mercury

Turner goes VERY slowly. Don't want it to jolt eggs. I think it takes a 6 hour period for them to go completely from one side to another.
The motor does get hot. Mine was making a weird/wacky noise last time, but I realized the load was imbalanced (like in a washer, lol)

I usually start filling up the middle of the turner and move out. Not sure if I read this somewhere or what, but I've had some good hatches...

Color of the egg is determined by mama hen, so the greenish/blue ones should be pure Ameracauna (I think?) The light browns could be ANYTHING. I think the dark one might be a Welsummer or a Maran. Really nice egg basket colors!!

GOOD LUCK!! (NEED A SMILIE THAT SAYS THIS!!!))
frow.gif
clap.gif
old.gif
bun.gif
D.gif
thumbsup.gif
tongue2.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Christina

Humidity for bators!!

1 thru day 18, 40 to 50% range or alittle lower

Last 3 days of incubation 60 to 70% range...

Water wells are under the wire mesh bottom so take out some water if you have filled them.....

We will have you addicted to hatching before you know what has hit you!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom