Aaahhhh!!!!

ChrystalGail

Songster
12 Years
Jun 13, 2007
Casa Grande, AZ
I went out this morning to feed and 8 out of my 13 chickens were dead!!! They were just dead where they slept. I have no idea what happened. I live in AZ, and it was hot, but it's been hot for months now and yesterday definatly wasn't as hot as it has been. I don't know what could hit them that fast. They were fine yesterday. They were 11 weeks old. So frustrating!!!

So sorry to hear of your loss. I couldn't even begin to guess what happened. I know how hard it is to lose your babes.
hugs.gif

could have been anything ... only a necropsy can help you really... when losing so many birds at once I certainly would get one...
>had you been giving electrolytes in the water?
>is there a natural water source in the area that they drink from? (if so take sample to be tested)
>what /how were you feeding (was it a new bag of feed? how long was it opened...what are the storage conditions )
...the above is additional info you might send along for the necropsy (you must not freeze the birds... contact your state vet to find info on getting a necropsy if you loose any more as I believe you must send them in within 24 hours of death...)

Last edited:
That is just horrible!! I am so sorry. I get up each morning worrying if any of mine have succumbed to the heat. I hear your area is much worse and it has been going on for a very long time. Again, so sorry.
I just checked your weather there and it says 107'. I doubt much can survive that kind of weather over such a long period of time. so sad!
edited after visiting your website: your children are beautiful.

Last edited:
That's what keeps a smile on my face when something like this happens is knowing I have healthy happy adorable children! They make my world go round!!! Not to mention a wonderful husband!!! Thanks for commenting on them and for the sympathy. Our local weather says it is going to be 111 today! Ouch! Time to break out the ice bottles to cool the babes down...

Chrystal, I have no doubt the heat got your birds with temps like that. I just cannot see how you manage it! It gets over 90' and I am worthless.
hmm.png

Carrie, somehow we learn to cope with it. We hit 100 in March this year! Then by June we were in the high 110s. Our hottest day so far was 119! Try being pregnant in this weather! I had my first daughter Sept. 27th the first year we moved to Arizona! Ouch!!!

Well now I am soooo looking forward to fall! after this heat! I have no desire to live where the seasons don't change, but then again, give me another ten years and I will probably be wanting to live in Florida, ha ha. Any relief in the near future for your heat wave, Chrystal? How cold does it get in the winter months?

Back
Top Bottom