Discharge from vent

sunnychooks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 21, 2007
NJ
I have a 16 month old chicken that has had a thin, milky white discharge coming from her vent for some time. She looks and acts completely normal. I don't know if she is laying. I've gone through literally dozens of websites and searches looking for the symptoms of any condition that are even vaguely similar with no luck. I bathed her today and got a good look at the discharge. It looks like milk dripping down her back end. Any ideas? I was wondering if she could simply be incontinent (Does that happen to chickens???).

I never thought of that! What type of smell would a yeast infection have? Could it be contagious? I'll check her tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

I believe your hen has Candidiasis(Vent Gleet). if she has a bad odor thats definitely what she has..If so Oxine or copper sulfate givin in the drinking water 1/8 teaspoon per gallon for 3 days should do the trick..Do you notice her eating and drinking more than usual?

Thanks for all your replies! I did extensive searches a few days ago for vent gleet. There were many symptoms that my chicken did not have, so I ruled it out. I'm going to go back to re-read them.

Yogurt sounds like a great idea, especially since it wouldn't hurt!!! I have loads of it thanks to Miss Prissy and her yogurt recipe from the recipe section of this messageboard!

I can't really tell if she's eating more. My chickens free range after breakfast in the chicken yard. I'm not familiar with alot of the medications. Would they harm the other birds if I put them in the communal waterer? Also, is there a withdrawl period for eating the eggs? Thanks!!!

You can't just smear monistat on her rear and expect it to work. Candidiasis also effects the crop, stomach and gizzard, even in severe cases the mouth and esophagus can also be affected..

Quote:
...if this is insufficient (which is often the case by the time it is so far along you notice it) ...your vet can give you nystatin (and may combine this with a sulpha drug)

Back
Top Bottom