My babies are here

addicted2chicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Michigan
First I am testing to see if I uploaded this pic right, if I did I will add more photos.
big_smile.png

I did it right. lol
So I got up early this morning and waiting for the post office to call. Had everything ready to go out to our heated game room where we are keeping the brooders. Finally when she called, I thought she was so sweet cause she said "your babies are here." So up to the post office I went. I asked her if I could open the box in front of her to check on them and was surprised that every one of them made it, 100.
Got them home and mixed their vitamins in the waterer and got the waterers set and them to counting and showing them each where the water was. Dipped each beak in the water and counted 26 of each breed. So 104 made it home. All seemed healthy and doing well.

This is 1 of my 3 brooders.

100_6228.jpg

Here is their first picture. Aren't they cute?

100_6227.jpg

I seperated 2 breeds into each of 2 brooders. My third brooder is for my guineas coming tomorrow. I am trying to figure out which breed is which still. The one had all yellow chicks, the other had redish chicks and the other had a mix of reddish and yellow chicks. I know the black ones are the barred rocks but since I am new I don't know which is which of the other 3. I ordered Isa browns, Rhode Island reds and Buff Orpingtons. If anyone knows which would be which please feel free to let me know.

This is the ones that were yellow of one breed and reddish of the other.
100_6230.jpg

Here is the barred rocks with the ones that had reddish and yellow chicks.

100_6231.jpg

Checking out the waterer.
100_6240.jpg

Checking out the feeder.
100_6244.jpg

100_6260.jpg

100_6257.jpg

100_6255.jpg

I know this one is a barred rock.
100_6253.jpg

I put 2 lights in each brooder to get it up to temp, but them I turned one off for each brooder.
This pic is a little fuzzy.
100_6261.jpg

I am sure I will post tons of pics as they grow. Hope others don't mind seeing my babies.

Last edited:
Here is another question, there was a sticker on the side of the box by the barred rocks that said pullets. I am wondering if the barred rocks were all pullets, if the entire box of all breeds were pullets or if maybe the stick accidently ended up on the box? I ordered all straight run for all the breeds.

ep.gif
Thats alot of chicks... they are very cute
love.gif
Your pictures are great! I'm new to the chicken world too... good luck and enjoy your babies!

They are so cute!
love.gif
Are the yellow chicks your buff orps? I'm new too, but BO's are what I have coming in 26 DAYS
celebrate.gif
Those chicks look like the ones I have been "studying." Can't wait to see more pics as they grow. Congrats!

Straight run would give you two different colors with the Isa Browns. (they are sex link) The lighter ones would be males.

White dots on top of the barred rocks would be pullets?

Buff orps don't have white wing feathers.

In the first pic the group on the upper right are your Isa Browns. Light chicks cockerels, darker chicks pullets.

Lower right, buff orps

Upper left, production reds

Lower left, barred rock.

CONGRATULATIONS

You must have a big coop and must be planning on butchering a lot of birds!

Last edited:
I was going to line them with linoleum but I ended up not only because I didn't have time to run and get some by the time I thought about it. I put a bunch of newspapers down to line the bottom, then I put pine shavings and then the paper towels. So honestly if the bottom gets icky we can just put another bottom on. It takes 2 pieces of OSB per brooder each OSB piece costs $5 and it takes half a piece for the bottom. So for $2.50 we can replace the bottom if we need too. But if we do, I will probably put linoleum down then.

Back
Top Bottom