HELP! DOG ATTACKED AGAIN!!

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
My sis' dog did it again. While we were at church he attacked the flock injuring 5, killing 1. I need advice on how to treat these awful wounds. The feathers and flesh are just ripped off of them on their bum areas. Meat is exposed.
I have cleaned the wounds with clear water and quarantined the injured. I've put terramycin in the water and have dusted them with DE to keep the flys off. Is there anything else I need to do? Should I put neosporin on the wounds? I'm not sure how I could do that without terrorizing them even more. And the wounds are so bad I would hate to have to rub on them to put the antibiotic ointment on. HELP!!!!!!

Flush wounds repeatedly with sterile saline solution and kill the dog. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
The wounds must stay clean. You could possibly put a sterile gauze dressing on the wounds after flushing with a small amount of antibiotic ointment or cream on it. Bactine is a good cleaner and has a pain killer as well, but it does sting when it goes on usually. Feedstores usually carry a wound powder you sqeeze on from a bottle, too.

would it be advisable to bring the severly wounded ones in the house with me? I'm worried that since they are conditioned to outside temps that the A/C could be more harmful than good.

Are the wounds open to where it would need stictches? Use Crazy Glue to pull the pieces together. I do this with any good size cut we get around here. Clean it good, then paint over it with some crazy glue. ( they've got some colored ones so you can see where you have put it but it's drys clear) It will hold it over until it heals from the inside out. I've done this to me, the hubby, dog and cats. They do it at the hospital now too!

I agree with Speckedhen when it comes to the dog.

Last edited:
what about bringing the more severe injured into the house? Or would they do better in their house? I'm worried about the flys. I'm hoping with the DE it will keep them at bay but I know if they were in here there would be no flys on them. But I'm afear that the A/C would be too much for them since they are conditioned to temps outside. Advice?

Yes, bring them in the house. If you have central air, block the vent in a bathroom and close the door. You can put a towel over the box or crate or cage that you have them in.

Why was your sister's mutt able to get at YOUR birds again?!!!
barnie.gif

SSS!!!!!
Any antibacterial ointment would be good for your injured birds.
Some of the pharmacies carry a nuskin type bandage which will keep the wound clean by let air in.
Good luck with your babies.
I agree with you Cyn.

Back
Top Bottom