Help! New chick - prolapse? Pasty butt?

serinat

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Michigan
tn_red-tush.jpg

I was trying to get some clumpy poo off of this little guy, and when it finally came off, it seemed like part of the vent came with it. I tried to be gentle, but maybe I was too rough? It's now all red and protruded.

What can I do?

Last edited:
are you sure it was poop and not dried blood from the yolk drying--? I had to look twice at my chicks while cleaning pasty but a few days ago-keep an eye on it and make sure the others don't pick at it-

I miss identified the vent on my first chicks, it looks like that is quite a bit lower than the tail in the picture, I think it is the dried "umbilical cord" (I have no idea what the actual name is in chickens) you have picked. Look above that for another hole, it is probably not pasty.

Yes that exactly what it looks like! They have a little flap where they poop from-that spot is where their yolk dries and absorbs into them-kinda like a real babies umbilical cord. dont touch it-let it dry and scab-just make sure the other chicks do not peck at it you might have to separate them...Use q tips to clean the butts- warm water dipped with q tips...Im sorry I almost did the same thing last week-then it pooped on me...and I realized I was looking too low..

I did the same thing and now i have a baby with scabby bloody things. I had to put him in our "chick hospital" for the last week, and now every time he poops it gets stuck to the scabs! Keep an eye on it!

Back
Top Bottom