Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Cibolo, TX
I see many egg baskets for sale like this:

25414.f.jpg

But, I would like to find one rounded like this:

365-w5718-a_large.jpg

This one is listed as a "novelty" and is only 3in x 3 in.

Why are the flat sided ones easier to find than the rounded ones? Are the flat ones better somehow? I just like the look of the rounded ones.

I may have to check ebay when I can. I also wondered if there was a functional advantage to one shape over another. Some of the "flat" ones like the blue pictured above also have very straight sides versus narrowing towards the bottom. I had also seen chicken shaped ones, but that's just a bit too too for me. I just want a nice round one like the bottom photo... wooden handle is nice. I found some "vintage" ones for $400.
roll.png
uh... no...

I have one but I bought it in France many years ago. Mine has thinner metal supports & more of them ; the handle is fixed in an upright position & is all metal. I have used it on a daily basis & it is still perfect. I think it is possible to buy them here in the UK from smart kitchen shops. Try Williams Sonoma in the US; they are a great outlet for Kitchen Stuff! Good Luck in your search
thumbsup.gif
Hattie

It's always the money. The flat ones are easier and cheaper to make. They are more traditional since they are easier to make. Imagine someone in the thirteenth century trying to survive and needing a basket, They will make the one that is the easiest and most practical to make. Thus the flat ones became "traditional". The flat ones are more versatile. I'd think the round ones are more art than practical.

Disclaimer: This is all my opinion. I really don't know.

editted since I cannot spell on only two cups of coffee

Last edited:
Quote:
...probably one could make one even without a soldering iron and just "knot" or "weave" baling wire... but that's just not going to happen with me.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom