Searching for a feeder that reduces billing out

cookiesdaddy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
California Bay Area
I waste so much food (both pellet and crumble) because the girls keep billing them out of the feeder tray. Does anyone has a design that reduces food waste? A picture would be great.

Thank you!

The lip of the feeder needs to curve inward (away from the chickens) to create an overhang. This keeps the hens from scraping the feed out of the feed tray. Hanging the feeder will also reduce this behavior.

I have 8 chickens and use a modified squirrel proof bird feeder. It holds about 10 lb of feed, and best of all, it is pretty weatherproof. We've had several drenching, sideways raining thunderstorms since I put it up and I've only had the smallest amount of wet feed, just in the corners.

I have it hung up about back level and they make virtually no mess at all. I got the feeder at Walmart - you can see pics in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13836

I wanted a feeder I could put outside since my coop is rather small and didn't want to take up floor space with feeders/waterers. I took off the squirrel proofing door and it works great.

Oh, cost about $29. Kind of pricey for a feeder, but it is working out really well.

Susan

I have the feeder hanging. It doesn't matter at what height I set it, they still bill out the feed. Will have to look at those "curved in" lip arrangement, or setting some restriction screen to prevent the girls from swinging their necks and splashing away the feed.

What bad girls you have! I hope a different style of feeder helps you. Don't you wonder what they think they're going to find in there, sometimes? It's not like cheap wild bird feed, where if they shove out the less palatable seeds, they'll get more of the seeds they want.

Chickens. Sometimes smarter than you think. Sometimes not.
roll.png

Quote:
I really think the curved in lip is the key. I was watching my hens eat and they were definitely swinging their necks and the lip was keeping the feed from flying out.

Man I wish I could find something that would work.

I feel like I am feeding 30 % more chickens due to the feed I find on the ground when I move the coup

Mine hangs and we keep it at the back height of the smallest chicken. The pellets they sling, the crumbles ..............they sling It seems it is just a fun part of the feeding thing.

Will try a lip feeder, though and hang in there

Hey Maybe I should count the pellets and ration them........if your hand full is on the deck then thats where You eat all........... ten of them
lol.png

Yea thats the ticket!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen people build wall feeders that had a second lip a few inches away from the feed tray. Any extra fell into a hopper below where it could be reclaimed. Kind of like setting a round feeder into a larger bucket to catch what's billed out.

Back
Top Bottom